Wanting to build a small house with cash.. Best design?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

filbert

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have you considered moving a house to the property? I have some land and I want to put a house on it, but if I spend money on just a "cabin", I won't get any future return out of it, as some previous posts have stated. My "cabin" might not be up to code, safety issue's, and if me or my family has to sell the land and "cabin", a mortgage company or title company won't touch it. I have found some good deals on houses to be moved and this might be another option for you. Also, my land has utilities(electric mainly) available which makes a house more feasible, I don't know if you have utilities at your land.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have you considered moving a house to the property? I have some land and I want to put a house on it, but if I spend money on just a "cabin", I won't get any future return out of it, as some previous posts have stated. My "cabin" might not be up to code, safety issue's, and if me or my family has to sell the land and "cabin", a mortgage company or title company won't touch it. I have found some good deals on houses to be moved and this might be another option for you. Also, my land has utilities(electric mainly) available which makes a house more feasible, I don't know if you have utilities at your land.

I don't have utilities yet but I will.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think if I'm going to build a cabin it has to be super cheap for the reasons stated. The value will only be in the land and the utilities and not in the cabin. I want to move out there so Ill build something small and cheap and then later on it'll be a nice insulated workshop or a place where guests can stay.

120 Acres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A buddy of mine that helps me around my land built a 20 x 20 cabin for himself on the front side of my property. He and I did all the work, mostly him, but I helped with the hard stuff and all the electrical.

These are not finished pics, but its finished now. I think he has about $12000 in it total, including all appliances and fixtures.

IMG_3598.JPG

IMG_3759.JPG

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's a good looking place for 12k! Mine would be even cheaper since I would probably sleep in a loft. I'm only going to live in this place by myself so I don't need a ton of room.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it were me wanting a low-budget cabin that didn't need to meet codes, I'd shop around at the shed builders and have one of them deliver the biggest pre-built that they have. Those are pretty affordable when compared to buying materials and building yourself. Write one check and it's delivered that afternoon. Then, I'd put my time and energy into insulating and finishing out the interior.

Why would you want to build a building that didnt meet minimum codes?
It would be uninsureable, and probably not very safe....
The kit sheds are built to min standards...of course the foundation is up to you, but the one I got was on skids.
Just needed to be tied down
Just because its out in the country, it still has to meet min standards....I just dont know why someone would do that. not very smart

Latest posts

Top Bottom