Windows phone

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Anyone use them?

I've begun considering moving away from the iOS phones, but I've just never warmed up to the Android system. My brother has the 920, and has enjoyed his.

I have been researching the integration between Windows 8 PC's, Windows Phone, and Xbox. Just curious if any here use them together.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone use them?

I've begun considering moving away from the iOS phones, but I've just never warmed up to the Android system. My brother has the 920, and has enjoyed his.

I have been researching the integration between Windows 8 PC's, Windows Phone, and Xbox. Just curious if any here use them together.

I don't have one myself, but my wife's sister has one. From what the wife tells me, the Windows phones are limited on the number of apps available for it. In addition, if one wanted to use the phone to use as a credit card processor when selling goods or services, it isn't capable of that. At least, it isn't as of now.

We've used the Android system in our phones for a few years now with no problems.

Since the wife's sister doesn't do Xbox, I have no idea what integration issue may be out there.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My personal phone is a Samsung Ativ S Neo running WP 8.1, and I have an iPhone 4S for a work phone. I really miss AirPlay functionality when I'm at home, but that's offset by Cortana's ability to read (and transcribe replies to) incoming texts via Sync in my truck, and WP's notification center is much better than iOS's.

There should be some really good Windows Phones hitting the street now that Microsoft has relaxed some of the hardware requirements, allowing manufacturers to use the same hardware for WP and Android.

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Windows phone, a Nokia 928, for work. The apps mostly seem to be Web pages wrapped in and advertising frame. Awkward to hold, the iPhone 5 is a better shape. Bluetooth is flaky. Haven't played with Cortana. It does work well as a mobile hotspot on Verizon, at least it did the one time I used it for that.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought migrating from iOS to Android was going to be a PITA... decided I was too young for another iPhone, went to the note3. Absolutely love it. S5 is getting epic reviews too.

daddyof3_101

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I actually help run a cell phone website. Just to be up front we focus on android. But really the 8.1 phones run really really well. App support is limited but that isn't an issue for some that just want a "phone". I personally don't like ios. It runs well but the ecosystem is so tied down, throw in iTunes and I'm out. Android is open and had the best choice as far as finding a phone that fits you. If you are dead set on windows phone give it about a month. The htc m8 is set receive a windows phone make over. If I was to go with a windows phone that would be my choice.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I'm tied to the AT&T service right now, so the HTC M8 isn't an option... as of now.

I've been reading about the SmartGlass app for WP.

I'm not too worried about tons of apps. There's only a few I use regularly now. Integration with my PCs and ability to play to some sort of media device (XBox) are more important. Office for WP would be a big improvement; then calendar, alarm, maps, and browser. Craigslist and Zillow apps would be nice.

The addition of file management beyond iTunes and expandable memory would be huge. Not being able to add files/music/vids (without some external program) is a *pain*.

I've heard rumors of latest/greatest new Windows Phones coming out, but the only benefit that will probably be to me is that what is available now will become cheaper. I've never been one to pay the big bucks for the newest gadget available. Computing devices devalue too fast.

Latest posts

Top Bottom