Would You Enlist Again

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If you were a young person, knowing what you know now, would you join the military again?

• Yes

Votes: 50 67.6%
  • No

Votes: 24 32.4%

• Total voters

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd do it again. I enjoyed the hell outta my time in the AF. I learned a lot, I grew up a lot. I might try to do a few things differently but I'd do it again.

It would be tough to do in today's climate...but then again, I'd be younger and wouldn't know what I know so I might have a different outlook than the 62 year old man I am today does.

I'd still go Air Force. Hands down.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nope, but I didn't have a choice. Draft notice in hand and went to the recruiter.
With all the wokeness and BS the military are subjected now just like it's going in the workplace, I wouldn't make it long before a dishonorable discharge if I were subjected to the training they are putting on now.

I've talked to the younger guys that are still at the power plant I retired from. They say I wouldn't make it there now, not because of job skills but because I didn't put up with the enhanced safety bullshat and social training they are having to endure in the workplace.
You can't get your work done because of "safety regulations" put in place by pups wet behind the ears that just got a college industrial safety degree without one day of actual work in his background.
Well, it has the "potential" to be dangerous, therefore I have to designate this area as dangerous, and the safety BS starts.
Your required to wear a harness to get into a 10 foot high scaffold with double rails? Give me a freeking break. I did that job with a ladder and a bag of tools and a step ladder just like every instrument guy did it before me since the plant was built in the 70's and nobody ever got hurt, but the college boy saw the "potential for safety" and made that 30 minute job to change the thermocouple in the belly of the turbine from a 30 minute job to a three day job.
Stupidly insane thinking.
From what I'm hearing, the military is going down this same rabbit hole which is why they can't get recruits that actually want to serve.
I was actually written up for not wearing my 15ft shock lanyard on a ten foot ladder. I feel you.

Regarding re-enlisting, I hated my circumstances in the army because it was right after Vietnam and no one was helping anyone. It was a Charlie Foxtrot from the word go. I got orders to report to training and upon arrival was turned around and told to go home. At Fort Carson I witnessed several acts of pure asinine activity in the form of practical jokes that hurt people physically and forced one Lt to medically retire.

I was given the keys to the armory in Medicine Lodge, Ks. after the full time man there was reduced from an E7 to buck private and ordered to Fort Gordon. Then they tried to stick me with the missing government equipment.
While at a summer camp at Fort Riley, I was in charge of a battery of 4 deuce mortars. During the entire two weeks, I NEVER received a training schedule or a movement order from my company commander. I found out accidentally the company had moved when I walked into the TOC. I walked right in, face covered, loaded M16 in hand, without any identification challenge whatsoever. I suppose the crossed pistols and the First Lt bar might have had something to do with it. I found out where I was supposed to be on the laid out map and when I was supposed to be there. I stole a jeep to get back to the battery. We got set up just in time for a fire mission. I dropped off the jeep on the way.

As soon as I did my 8 year commitment, I resigned my commission and was gone. Peacetime army sucks!

Last edited:

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nope, but I didn't have a choice. Draft notice in hand and went to the recruiter.
With all the wokeness and BS the military are subjected now just like it's going in the workplace, I wouldn't make it long before a dishonorable discharge if I were subjected to the training they are putting on now.

I've talked to the younger guys that are still at the power plant I retired from. They say I wouldn't make it there now, not because of job skills but because I didn't put up with the enhanced safety bullshat and social training they are having to endure in the workplace.
You can't get your work done because of "safety regulations" put in place by pups wet behind the ears that just got a college industrial safety degree without one day of actual work in his background.
Well, it has the "potential" to be dangerous, therefore I have to designate this area as dangerous, and the safety BS starts.
Your required to wear a harness to get into a 10 foot high scaffold with double rails? Give me a freeking break. I did that job with a ladder and a bag of tools and a step ladder just like every instrument guy did it before me since the plant was built in the 70's and nobody ever got hurt, but the college boy saw the "potential for safety" and made that 30 minute job to change the thermocouple in the belly of the turbine from a 30 minute job to a three day job.
Stupidly insane thinking.
From what I'm hearing, the military is going down this same rabbit hole which is why they can't get recruits that actually want to serve.
Amen Amen Amen worked at Dupont in pryor a couple years . first 2 hours planning your day maybe work some then last hour reflecting on what you could have done better or differently no wonder S _ i _. costs so much.

38Super

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is a tough one indeed. "knowing what I know now". I would enlist again but probably wouldn't last that long. Speak my mind openly too much and not really promotion material for calling a shitshow a shitshow.
One of life's regrets is getting out in '84 and probably not doing 20 to 25.
If it was the same Air Force that I joined in '79 and knew what I know now, whole different story.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is a tough one indeed. "knowing what I know now". I would enlist again but probably wouldn't last that long. Speak my mind openly too much and not really promotion material for calling a shitshow a shitshow.
One of life's regrets is getting out in '84 and probably not doing 20 to 25.
If it was the same Air Force that I joined in '79 and knew what I know now, whole different story.
You sound like me. My DOR was in 79 and DD214 was 85. I wanted to go 20 then pull the pin but circumstances and fools above me ruined that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom