Would you move to Texas if....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmhbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Typically, the people who say there is not right to secession rely on White vs Texas, a case from the Civil War. SCOTUS ruled that since the Articles of Confederation created a perpetual union, and the Constitution created a more perfect version of that, then the founders did not intend there to be a right to secession.

Then again, the Tenth Amendment says
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.
Those who claim a right to secede fall back on that.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Being old uneducated as I am, why can TX not secede?

'Cause the Federal Government won't allow that. A bunch of folks tried that back around the mid-1800'd and that just didn't work out to good for anybody involved. But I wouldn't do it anyway. Something about some silly old oath I took a long time ago about "support and defend..."

andrsnsm

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since I was born in Texas and love Texas (except the longhorns) I would consider it but probably stay put at the end of the day. I assume I would have dual citizenship :-)

Lone Wolf '49

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
'Cause the Federal Government won't allow that. A bunch of folks tried that back around the mid-1800'd and that just didn't work out to good for anybody involved. But I wouldn't do it anyway. Something about some silly old oath I took a long time ago about "support and defend..."

Still, there may be something out there that when TX joined the Union that they have the right to do so. Just asking all of the experts out there?

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Still, there may be something out there that when TX joined the Union that they have the right to do so. Just asking all of the experts out there?

Nope. You don't get a choice in the matter. Once in; in for the duration. Besides; then you'd have to root for the Longhorns.

Latest posts

Top Bottom