1% tip, on expensive lunch. **and my rant on pay, gratuity, and salary jobs**

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sanjuro893

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I personally don't have a problem with people who don't tip because of lousy service. I worked in a bar for a few years and got overwhelmed or flustered and didn't get some guy his beer EXACTLY RIGHT WHEN HE WANTED IT. Big deal, I made up for it with regular customers and the ability to throw people out if I didn't like them. Sometimes wait staff gets overwhelmed. But this is usually offset by the customers they can really concentrate on when they're not overwhelmed. (Underwhelmed?)

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I think you considered the tip on the tax. If you back out the Tulsa tax rate (roughly 8.5%), he ripped closer to 23% of the pre-tax price.

I did the same math earlier our of curiosity :)

152.43 subtotal
+ 12.96 tax
= 165.39 meal total

+34.61 tip
= 200 total

34.61 / 152.43 = 22.7%

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I usually double the tax. Gets somewhere around 15-20% of the cost of the food. I wouldn't figure my % off of the after tax total because the collecting money for uncle sugar wasn't part of my service. I'm normally a very good tipper especially with excellent service. Even more tip given if they are busy and I still get taken care of.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some people can't afford to tip in some situations. I've been there many times and may be again. There's no shame in it.
I'll never forget the days when I drove a cab and picked up a bunch of hippies who scraped ten bucks together and went bar hopping.
I didn't judge them. Tipping in restaurants is a different proposition and here's how I look at it. If I can't afford to tip, I can't afford te eat in a restaraunt. Tipping is part of the price.

Go to the grocery store and buy some stuff to make a sandwhich if you can't tip because tipping is part of the price. Some people who wouldn't dream of walking the check, are always looking for an opportunity to cheat the person with the least power in the situation.

If you don't understand the basic social contract between yourself and other humans, just dont eat at restaraunts you freaking knucklehead.

Edit: I reread this post and it sounded wrong. When I say YOU, I'm not addressing anyone in particular. Damn my hide, it's just like me to go waving pronouns around.

Last edited:

XPerties

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think you considered the tip on the tax. If you back out the Tulsa tax rate (roughly 8.5%), he ripped closer to 23% of the pre-tax price.

I did the same math earlier our of curiosity :)

152.43 subtotal
+ 12.96 tax
= 165.39 meal total

+34.61 tip
= 200 total

34.61 / 152.43 = 22.7%

Wow I didn't realize I would be closely mathematically calculated (big words make me feel smart).

Anyways I personally think it was a good tip.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Oh, I agree. That's a fine tip. I'm just a numbers guy :)

Full disclosure: I think I tipped similarly the (one) time I went to Fleming's (hard to recall it it was 5 years ago). 190 before tax, and I think I tipped to make it 250. That's around $44 for tip, so darn near identical percentage-wise. Good to hear they still have great service.

hanson405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow I didn't realize I would be closely mathematically calculated (big words make me feel smart).

Great tip. Especially for two people.

And they add gratuity to tables of 8 or more to make sure that the server doesn't get screwed. It is a TON of work to try and take care of that many people at one table. Unfortunately, something I noticed when I waited tables was that large parties were more likely to not tip than smaller tables. For some reason, they think that their friends will make up for it.

Chili's didn't allow gratuity for a long time, then changed their minds halfway through my "tenure" there. Had a lot of grouchy people, but I got shafted MUCH less often.

"well you would've gotten a great tip if you hadn't put gratuity on there"

If your getting grouchy about 18.5%, chances are you weren't going to leave that much. If your server deserves more, you can still leave more!

hanson405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And again, if you had a problem with the service, complain to the management. I have no problem with this! I had several co-workers that had no work ethic or desire to please their customers, what business did they have working in customer service?

Latest posts

Top Bottom