1% tip, on expensive lunch. **and my rant on pay, gratuity, and salary jobs**

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A
Karma is *****. Go do that job for a while and deal with the rude horses' asses and cheap douchebags whose only tiny sintilla of power in their miserable lives is to go to a restaurant and order a server around.

I always tip 20-35% unless the server is completely incompetent. The only way I will tip less than 15% is if they have a bad attitude and then I usually say something to them about it.

I have had a lot of friends that waited tables or bartend. I like tipping especially when they are very friendly and attentive and quick. Sometimes I drink a little too much and leave a fat tip! Ha

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't recall ever not leaving a tip, but it may have happened once or twice. My minimum is 10% for poor service and 20+ for good service. I have tipped upwards of 500% a few times as well.

Transmitted via Tactical Telecommunications Device.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I really only go a few places, and am regular enough to get the "Norm from Cheers" treatment. So yeah, I usually tip pretty well, but I usually don't have to see a menu, wait, or ask for refills. Hell, Pretty often half the stuff I order doesn't appear on my bill, so I definitely tip.

bsmith918

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
25%-30% even if they are not very good. I tip the hair stylist closer to 100%. I wouldn't want to do those jobs and deal with the public everyday, so I make sure I make up for the ******* at the next table that won't leave anything. Life is short/hard for all of us, might as well make it better for each other.

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I stumbled into a DisneyWorld restaurant with my family at one of their hotels. It might have been at the Contemporary Hotel. Well, we were seated and menu'ed before I realized how much they were gouging us for food--way beyond the normal high Disney prices. It was mid-afternoon and the place was pretty empty and I was ticked off about the ridiculously high prices and mediocre food. It was my fault and I usually do enough research to avoid situations like that.

Anyway, that one time, I decided to just tip what I thought was fair instead of a percentage of the meal. I received adequate service, but adding another 20% on top of way overpriced food was not going to happen. The service and setting just didn't equal that. I don't remember doing that since, but in that situation, a percentage of the bill just didn't make sense to me.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I believe the OP's post is not about tipping per se, but about the fact that waiters and waitresses are underpaid and the employer expects it's customers to make up the difference. I tend to agree. How is that places like McDonalds can pay its employees minimum wage while the places that charge $15+ per plate and $4 for a soda cannot?

Also understand that for some of us going out to eat is barely finacially feasable. With a family of 5 spending $75-$100 is expected for a decent meal. When it takes you a month or more to save enough to take your family out it is not only a special event but often not possible to leave more than a $5 tip.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I tip up to $5, pretty much standard, unless it is hibachi, then it's usually about 10. It has somehow become the responsibility of the patron to pay the hourly wage of the wait staff, when in reality, the workers should be paid a flat wage. The US is the only country in the world where mandatory tipping is standard practice.

My point on tipping is this- just because the food is expensive does not mean the tip should automatically go up. If I order 5 $10 meals of 5 $30 meals, the service should be the same, period. Now if you bring 10 people to a dinner, the tip should be according to the service. Larger tables are harder to handle because it is 10 people all at once, which means more trips, more effort, etc. But if you put an automatic tip on the bill, then you piss me off. Tips are for quality service and should never be mandatory. I don't mind tipping, but when you force me to tip, I won't tip at all out of principle.

For the record, when the kitchen screws up, I don't punish the waiter.

Rant off.

Latest posts

Top Bottom