22mag vs 22lr

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can get good bullets in the .22 mag vs. cheap ones in a LR. I had a .22 mag Marlin that would shoot 5/8" 5 shot groups at 100. Unfortunately it was expensive to shoot and rarely needed, so I sold it. Haven't looked back on the .22 mag since.

Cinaet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
These days there's nothing a 22 mag can do that something else can't do better for about the same money. On the other hand, 22lr is the king of plink by a country mile.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why can't you just load a 22lr round in a magnum cylinder? It fits.

Usually splits because it is undersize. In some cases may blow out brass bits.

By the way, a .44 mag fits into a .45 Colt chamber, but you REALLY don't want to do that!
Just because it fits does not mean it is safe!

z06man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Usually splits because it is undersize. In some cases may blow out brass bits.

By the way, a .44 mag fits into a .45 Colt chamber, but you REALLY don't want to do that!
Just because it fits does not mean it is safe!

Had a friend that did that a couple months ago with matching pair of Freedom Arms. He couldn't figure out why he couldn't get the bullet on the paper. LOL No harm to him or the gun, but he did lose 5 pieces of brass.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In a handgun your better off to find a 32-20 and handload it down a bit..

I just don't understand why 22 mag is still around. Expensive... not much for range... not many firearms chambered for it...

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
In a handgun your better off to find a 32-20 and handload it down a bit..

I just don't understand why 22 mag is still around. Expensive... not much for range... not many firearms chambered for it...

See, I love my 22 mag. Most fun I have had in a long time, shooting turtles in a pond from 150 or so, it's not loud enough to scare them all away, but still powerful enough to give a very satisfying impact.

My kind of plinking is seeing how tight of groups I can shoot, or hitting clays at 200 yards. So a box of 50 rnds for $12 is not bad. Can't wait to try it on squirrels this year, or on praire dogs.

shooter202

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
22lr, you dont really get thet much more for your money I've shot both and wasnt that impressed with the 22mag. Like everyone else if your going to pay the extra buck you might as well get the bang to go with it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom