4 wheeler question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I still had both a utility and sport 4 wheeler, I would say come out and ride both. I have an area that stays wet from a spring that you ride through and see the differences. You can also ride through cow manure and see the difference. You can carry a gun and see the difference.

I will still stand by my opinion that a utility 4 wheeler will be better for the uses you describe.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have had Polaris Rzr's, Yamaha Rhino's, dozens of ATV's and for hunting and working on the farm. Like Okbassin is saying, get a utility one. Get independent rear suspension, as it rides so much smoother. We have had everything from CanAm, Suzuki, Honda, Polaris and Yamaha. I would not buy anything other than a Yamaha Grizzly 700 with the power steering. They simply have just proven to us their sheer dependability. I have gotten older now and hunt out of a Rhino UTV. So much nice, roof, windshield, nice bed to toss whatever into and will go where four wheelers won't. But still like the open air riding of a atv.

120 Acres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
4x4 and bigger is better.

DSC_0026.JPG

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm guessing I'm the only person that is still a fan of the old shaft driven Honda Big Reds. Found another one that I'm buying next week and overhauling. Bigger isn't always better.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm guessing I'm the only person that is still a fan of the old shaft driven Honda Big Reds. Found another one that I'm buying next week and overhauling. Bigger isn't always better.

Your not alone. I still have and ride a 1995 Honda 250SX shaft drive three wheeler that is completely restored to like new condition.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get a 2wd utility model like the Honda Recon 250 or a Polaris Trailboss 330 or a Suzuki Ozark 250 or a Yamaha Grizzly 350 2wd or a Kawasaki Prairie 3602wd. Even new they are less costly than a 4wd that always has a bigger motor. There are many entry level utility models that have been made that usually have a 250 cc motor and racks and floor boards.

I have a old Polaris Trailboss that would make a great hunting atv.

A 2wd utility model will have racks that will handle hunting gear much better than a sport model. 4wd would be better but they will cost more even used.

After owning the Traiboss I would get a Honda Recon if I were buying one today.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One reason the sport models are all cheaper when used is they usually have been ridden hard. The used utility models like I described above are bought by people that aren't as interested in going fast or through rough terrain.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I have a friend that has a place up in Arkansas, he and I had a mutual friend from Colorado wanting to come and Ride the Roads of Arkansas on Motorcycles and wanted to ride the trails on a four wheeler. This was in 2012. All I had was a Rhino at the time and my buddy had a Polaris Ranger. But did have a old Honda 4Trax Foreman he bought back in 1986. I rode up there on my motorcycle a day earlier and he took me out to the barn to clean out his Polaris Ranger as I was gonna ride in it with him and he was going to let the other guy from Colorado ride the Foreman. I asked where is the Foreman, he said it was out under the lean to. Here is the remarkable thing. He had bought it for his sons in 1986, they rode the dog sh&t out of it he said and then it was used on and around the farm and it had been parked under the lean to, for the last 5 or 6 years. I told him, what the hell? You think it will run and make it a day on the trails? He said yea and that he had picked up a new battery and that what we was going to do right then. We drug that thing around to the shop, started in on changing the battery, noticed it had NO airfilter, the airfilter had rotted and had been injested by the carb and big chunks of it were laying in the air box. He then stated that he had never changed the oil as far as he knows as well. I was freaking shocked to say the least!!!!!! I told him there was no way it would run. Well we got after it, drained the THICK sludge of oil out of it, and I started pouring in Diesel in the crank case to wash it out, got the old battery out of it, he went to Springfield AR to get a Air Filter, I kept filling up and trying to get clean Diesel to come out the drain hole. He got back, we oiled the filter, put the battery in, filled the oil. And bam the thing popped off. Oh yea, we drained the old gas out of it, and he brought back some clean gas and a bottle of Sea Foam. It ran like a new one, did not smoke. Fixed a couple of the tire flats and she was alive again. Our friend got there the next day, we went running around and then loaded it and the Polaris Ranger up and hit the trails for the day. The Honda Foreman never missed a beat, ran like a top. I was blown away!! I had heard and knew some other guys that bought the old Honda Ranchers and Foremans to use around the farms and knew they were tough ones, but this beat all I have seen! And it still is being used today. To think that it had survived two boys beating on it on the farm, being worked on the farm all those years and never changing the oil or cleaning the airfilter, and it ran good and still runs is mind blowing. I have always knew Honda built quality stuff. I raced for them for a few years off road and have owned ridden many of their Street Bikes.

But I still stand on Yamaha Grizzlys with the PowerSteering as my suggestion.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom