4831 vs 4831SC - side by side

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Thought I would post a couple of photos of these two powders next to each other. According to hodgdon, they are identical in burn rate and consistency. The only difference is the length of each granule. I didn't realize how apparent it was until I saw them side by side tonight. Something tells me the load that was so great with 4831SC isn't going to be the same with the regular 4831.

Can anyone tell me the advantages of one over the other?

[Broken External Image]

This one is SHORT CUT ON THE LEFT
[Broken External Image]

The color difference is really shocking. I wasn't expecting that. wonder what that means about performance.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Biggest advantage is that the short cut granules meter better. If I weigh each charge by hand, I can tell no difference in velocity or accuracy, but in a conventional measure, the short cut is more consistent in charge weight dropped. I also sometimes use a long drop tube with the longer extruded powders. Jim

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Biggest advantage is that the short cut granules meter better. If I weigh each charge by hand, I can tell no difference in velocity or accuracy, but in a conventional measure, the short cut is more consistent in charge weight dropped. I also sometimes use a long drop tube with the longer extruded powders. Jim

Yes to this.

Latest posts

Top Bottom