8 yr. old Football team takes knee during National Anthem.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That would have been my actions as well. When getting home there would be lessons learned as well.

That's a double edged sword .........Dshod....you can't punish them for following the coaches direction.....hell I used to crawl up my kids ass for not listening to wrestling coaches ....lol ..

I couldn't punish them for following their directions after all the "listen to your coach" speaches I've given.....I'd yank his ass off the team though ....which would violate another rule of mine which was finishing a season you start (barring injury)....but for a morality issue like this I would be glad to break that rule.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't considered myself a minority, but my ancestors had a hell of a time when they imigrated from their homeland according to my Grandmother. Irish were the white trash. I was surprised to see some of the same sentiment in Chicago when I was there for a few months in 98 at some establishments.

I love this country. Glad to be here.
I would agree, the Irish were not treated well for a very long time in the US. I am like 1/8 Irish on my Indian side. I think that many Irish have lost their cultural identity. Therefore, the result is Americanization of the Irish. I think blacks, are having difficulty retaining their pride in being black. The more they are becoming Americanized the more they are attempting to resist resulting in BLM and these types of protests. I think lots of Indians do the same thing by being counter-cultural instead of celebrating their heritage.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's a double edged sword .........Dshod....you can't punish them for following the coaches direction.....hell I used to crawl up my kids ass for not listening to wrestling coaches ....lol ..

I couldn't punish them for following their directions after all the "listen to your coach" speaches I've given.....I'd yank his ass off the team though ....which would violate another rule of mine which was finishing a season you start (barring injury)....but for a morality issue like this I would be glad to break that rule.
I didn't see the part where the coach gave his permission, guess I missed that. I stayed out of coaches decisions as well as far as game play, but would not have in this case which is a moral issue as I see it. Coaches are there to coach and not interface their political opinions on young minds.
Nonetheless, my kids were raised to know right from wrong and this incident was very wrong. As long as they lived under my roof, they learned the difference in right and wrong, with the consequences that resulted in doing it wrong. More than once I stood beside them backing their decisions in school when they were unjustly accused or ordered to do something they felt was wrong.
Conversely if a teacher called the home and said the grades were falling or they were insubordinate, they learned the consequences of being wrong.
The kids were involved in sports of all kinds including moto-cross as they got older. They had to maintain a weekly report from their teachers of a grade level at C+ or above. Falling below that resulted in staying at home the following race, and trust me on this, they didn't like that. Staying home involved an uptake of some household chores, etc.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't see the part where the coach gave his permission, guess I missed that. I stayed out of coaches decisions as well as far as game play, but would not have in this case which is a moral issue as I see it. Coaches are there to coach and not interface their political opinions on young minds.
Nonetheless, my kids were raised to know right from wrong and this incident was very wrong. As long as they lived under my roof, they learned the difference in right and wrong, with the consequences that resulted in doing it wrong. More than once I stood beside them backing their decisions in school when they were unjustly accused or ordered to do something they felt was wrong.
Conversely if a teacher called the home and said the grades were falling or they were insubordinate, they learned the consequences of being wrong.
The kids were involved in sports of all kinds including moto-cross as they got older. They had to maintain a weekly report from their teachers of a grade level at C+ or above. Falling below that resulted in staying at home the following race, and trust me on this, they didn't like that. Staying home involved an uptake of some household chores, etc.

I agree , i agree I have supported all of the teachers except one that was preaching far liberal ******** in the classroom, wore black for 3 days after Trump won because she was in mourning...... had 25 pictures of Obama on the walls, wore I'm with her shirts, etc, etc ... and one day she asked if the kids knew what a playboy bunny was ...and my son said no you should show us on the smart board .....she promptly said that his statement was sexual harassment (smart ass remark yes ....sexual harassment ...not even close). He didn't think anything of it and only mentioned it in passing later that week. I promptly met with the principle and had him removed from her class an forbid her from having any contact with him ever again and explained they'd have a lawsuit instanly if she ever speaks too my son again. I explained I don't want Shawn Hannity teaching my kids anymore then I did Rachel Maddow teaching him and if they can't find teachers that can't keep personal political beliefs out of the classroom then I'd involve the local news people and sue them. I am still considering involving local news in the issue because the teacher is still there

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree , i agree I have supported all of the teachers except one that was preaching far liberal ******** in the classroom, wore black for 3 days after Trump won because she was in mourning...... had 25 pictures of Obama on the walls, wore I'm with her shirts, etc, etc ... and one day she asked if the kids knew what a playboy bunny was ...and my son said no you should show us on the smart board .....she promptly said that his statement was sexual harassment (smart ass remark yes ....sexual harassment ...not even close). He didn't think anything of it and only mentioned it in passing later that week. I promptly met with the principle and had him removed from her class an forbid her from having any contact with him ever again and explained they'd have a lawsuit instanly if she ever speaks too my son again. I explained I don't want Shawn Hannity teaching my kids anymore then I did Rachel Maddow teaching him and if they can't find teachers that can't keep personal political beliefs out of the classroom then I'd involve the local news people and sue them. I am still considering involving local news in the issue because the teacher is still there

I can't watch video's at home on the computer because of our metered service. Just saw it on TV.
I see there was some ethnicity commonality among the coaches that was the provocation in the incident.
Thats sad. Now we understand more why some young kids grow up not loving the US. They are taught from youth to hate by adults, and it carries on to their teens and adulthood, only to be passed onto future generations.
Those coaches had an opportunity to teach those kids to embrace the country, and failed because of what they had been taught by past generations of their own ethnicity.
Delving on past history to keep their ethnicity in a hate mode which backfires on them, is no way to promote a culture or diversity by denying their youth the chance to advance in this world.

Edit:
Here is a report from a black professional educated person on his take of the situation.

https://www.lewrockwell.com/2017/09/walter-e-williams/the-welfare-states-legacy/

Last edited:

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personal political/religious believes are always going to be in the classroom. Nearly everything they read in literature class has a political/religious theme in it. The history of the US is a history of political and religious believes. World History cannot be taught without discussing religion or politics. Try teaching about the Greeks or Romans without comparing it to other cultures.
By the time a kid makes it to high school, if a teacher is not having students make comparisons on a daily basis, they are failing at their job. What do you want your student reading in school, A Modest Proposal or Fifty Shades of Grey?
The problem is when a teacher forces a student to believe something by testing them on it. However, sometimes it is a good lesson in life, that at times you have to go along to get along, even if you do not agree. The fact that a student realizes that they do not agree with a teachers political views actually means they are learning.
We have several new social studies teachers in my department this year. My part of our mentoring meeting last week trying to get them to understand that the quote by William Arthur Ward "The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires."
I told them that a teacher that is trying, sends a student out of class with homework. Great teachers send kids home wanting to discuss their lesson with their parents. However, at that point some parents are going to complain. To inspire students about politics, a teacher has to model Political Efficacy, if they do not model it, a student will never be inspired to have Political Efficacy and discuss politics with their friends or parents, it is just another lesson.
I had a former student talk to me at Walmart last summer about my class. He said, I really disliked you at the beginning of the year, but for the first time I was going home having actual adult conversations with my dad about government, instead of just complaining about my teachers. The former student followed it up by saying that he actually started watching the news with his father just so they could talk about what was happening in the world. He said I still disagreed with you, but you became the class I looked forward to everyday. It was fun debating you in class, and having you look me and say good point, great job.

I would agree with you, the teacher you are talking about may have taken to the point of political activism in the classroom. Teachers need to model political believes to allow a student to develop their own political believes. It sounds like your kid's teacher was trying to get kids to believe what they believe, which is wrong.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Personal political/religious believes are always going to be in the classroom. Nearly everything they read in literature class has a political/religious theme in it. The history of the US is a history of political and religious believes. World History cannot be taught without discussing religion or politics. Try teaching about the Greeks or Romans without comparing it to other cultures.
By the time a kid makes it to high school, if a teacher is not having students make comparisons on a daily basis, they are failing at their job. What do you want your student reading in school, A Modest Proposal or Fifty Shades of Grey?
The problem is when a teacher forces a student to believe something by testing them on it. However, sometimes it is a good lesson in life, that at times you have to go along to get along, even if you do not agree. The fact that a student realizes that they do not agree with a teachers political views actually means they are learning.
We have several new social studies teachers in my department this year. My part of our mentoring meeting last week trying to get them to understand that the quote by William Arthur Ward "The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires."
I told them that a teacher that is trying, sends a student out of class with homework. Great teachers send kids home wanting to discuss their lesson with their parents. However, at that point some parents are going to complain. To inspire students about politics, a teacher has to model Political Efficacy, if they do not model it, a student will never be inspired to have Political Efficacy and discuss politics with their friends or parents, it is just another lesson.
I had a former student talk to me at Walmart last summer about my class. He said, I really disliked you at the beginning of the year, but for the first time I was going home having actual adult conversations with my dad about government, instead of just complaining about my teachers. The former student followed it up by saying that he actually started watching the news with his father just so they could talk about what was happening in the world. He said I still disagreed with you, but you became the class I looked forward to everyday. It was fun debating you in class, and having you look me and say good point, great job.

I would agree with you, the teacher you are talking about may have taken to the point of political activism in the classroom. Teachers need to model political believes to allow a student to develop their own political believes. It sounds like your kid's teacher was trying to get kids to believe what they believe, which is wrong.

Well in this isntance the teacher was pushing an agenda, she was anit police .....my ex wife and her husband are both TPD so there was constant friction between him and the teacher. Luckily the teacher made the class watch a long video on Feminism which brought about the playboy playmate discussion which lead to her comment whichlead to my actions. I ignored it all year until a conversation in passing.

I don't remember the teachers name except the kids called her Ms. Clinton

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would agree, the Irish were not treated well for a very long time in the US. I am like 1/8 Irish on my Indian side. I think that many Irish have lost their cultural identity. Therefore, the result is Americanization of the Irish. I think blacks, are having difficulty retaining their pride in being black. The more they are becoming Americanized the more they are attempting to resist resulting in BLM and these types of protests. I think lots of Indians do the same thing by being counter-cultural instead of celebrating their heritage.
Good points expressed well :clap3:

Latest posts

Top Bottom