Taking a knee?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aku

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why does it have to end? If folks want to live near, graduate with, go to school with - their own tribe, I'm good with it. Why the heck is it wrong to let groups segregate? Forcing integration creates the exact opposite of diversity.
Forcing integration is the whole purpose of affirmative action, suspect classes, and the Civil Rights Acts. Separate but equal is still segregation. While I disagree that segregation creates diversity, allowing segregation to continue in any form further divides the country.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Forcing integration is the whole purpose of affirmative action, suspect classes, and the Civil Rights Acts. Separate but equal is still segregation. While I disagree that segregation creates diversity, allowing segregation to continue in any form further divides the country.

You can disagree all you like. I'd challenge you to look at Tulsa in 1960 versus Tulsa in 2020. Integration may have helped some, but overall can you honestly say that all groups have advanced? All groups are surely more equal, but that doesn't only run one way.

Literacy, teen pregnancy, crime, reliance on welfare - seriously take a look at the numbers then let's see how we've benefitted. I say this with no animosity toward any group - it's in everyone's best interest to have all of us succeed and stand on our own two feet. The methods employed to achieve that have been wrong, and are evidenced by the groups themselves choosing self-segregation.

Aku

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can disagree all you like. I'd challenge you to look at Tulsa in 1960 versus Tulsa in 2020. Integration may have helped some, but overall can you honestly say that all groups have advanced? All groups are surely more equal, but that doesn't only run one way.
There is not way to look and compare your challenge in a short period of time, if ever, because of the effect of affirmative action. What would Tulsa 1960 versus Tulsa 2020 look like without affirmative action is a considerable unknown. I believe the effects of affirmative action will never be fully known because of political and news manipulation, and the rise of social media. However, social media may actually benefit integration and diversity, but I know of no studies on that yet.
Literacy, teen pregnancy, crime, reliance on welfare - seriously take a look at the numbers then let's see how we've benefitted. I say this with no animosity toward any group - it's in everyone's best interest to have all of us succeed and stand on our own two feet. The methods employed to achieve that have been wrong, and are evidenced by the groups themselves choosing self-segregation.
First, maybe its time to seriously consider repealing affirmative action. I think that would draw heavy criticism. However, groups choosing self-segregation is more of a political stance, and failed policies of a two-party system, not an effort to be diverse.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think reverting back to the separate but equal era is the answer. I agree that many of the methods of trying to force integration are wrong-headed. But the college graduation idea above is also wrong-headed in my opinion. And divisive.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think reverting back to the separate but equal era is the answer. I agree that many of the methods of trying to force integration are wrong-headed. But the college graduation idea above is also wrong-headed in my opinion. And divisive.

I'm not advocating for legislation mandating separation. Just drop quotas, housing assistance and education integration requirements. Let citizens sort things out for themselves.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not advocating for legislation mandating separation. Just drop quotas, housing assistance and education integration requirements. Let citizens sort things out for themselves.

Yep I understand. I just don't think things like these separate graduations are a positive thing. They don't fit with the whole 'inclusion' ideal that I thought we were working toward.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep I understand. I just don't think things like these separate graduations are a positive thing. They don't fit with the whole 'inclusion' ideal that I thought we were working toward.

Who is this "we" you speak of?

I work towards bettering my family's position. That's pretty much the way the world has worked since, oh...forever.

Struggling to be the winner is what makes us better, stronger, smarter. Nature lets the slow buffalo get culled by the hyenas. Keeps the herd strong.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Who is this "we" you speak of?

I work towards bettering my family's position. That's pretty much the way the world has worked since, oh...forever.

Struggling to be the winner is what makes us better, stronger, smarter. Nature lets the slow buffalo get culled by the hyenas. Keeps the herd strong.
Then tell me how the LGBTQPRSTUVWXYZ's reproduce in greater numbers since biologically it is a physical impossibility?

Latest posts

Top Bottom