Anybody Got A Soda Stream?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fatboy Joe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have one. The root beer is pretty good. I don't know how cost effective it is. We spent around $100 for the device which gives you a "sample" box of a lot of the drinks, a CO2 dispenser, and 2 one liter bottles. You can pick up the mixes now anywhere. But I can usually find Diet Coke on sale for about $5 a case and I get the consistancy I like. They do not taste bad though.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a marketing gimmick - it's been done before - back in the '70s IIRC. One of those flash in the pan products that generates a lot of initial interest due to the cool factor. But like HMFIC said. The costs don't make sense. Didn't back the 1st time it was tried and won't this time either.

Once the new wears off and people stop buying it the supplies, accessories and parts needed to keep the thing going will dry up pretty darn fast.

Not something I'll be buying.

Judged1

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
we had a home soda machine when i was a kid. i carbonated everything with it. thinking back on it i could save a bunch of money now from throwing away flat coke.

JPK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have one. Bought it a while back. We like it. All we do is make soda water. The bottles will keep the fizz going for 2-3 days. For us it has been a good deal. I think it has already paid for itself.

Hat3d1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My first vehicle ( 85 chevy van i paid $500 for ) ended up with a salvaged Dr Pepper tap.. it was SICK!

The small fridge was a ***** on batteries how ever...

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have one. Bought it a while back. We like it. All we do is make soda water. The bottles will keep the fizz going for 2-3 days. For us it has been a good deal. I think it has already paid for itself.

How does the CO2 work? How much is it to get a CO2 bottle refilled?

I've gotten the little CO2 bottles used for paint ball refilled and those weren't cheap.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How does the CO2 work? How much is it to get a CO2 bottle refilled?

I've gotten the little CO2 bottles used for paint ball refilled and those weren't cheap.

I could be wrong, but I think these work similar to Blue Rhino propane tank exchanges. Either via mail directly with the company or FTF at places like Bed, Bath, and Beyond. As far as price? I don't know, I don't have one of these systems. I'm pretty sure I've seen that mentioned somewhere when I was researching these things.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On the gas refills, yes it's mail order. Going that route you can save some money from the looks of things, but you will need to buy several at a time. The gas looks to be the major cost factor to consider. I'll probably just buy a bigger bottle and refill the little units myself or hook a kegerator bottle up to it directly. Going this route would drop the cost very substantially. I got to do more checking. There are a bunch of different ways on youtube. One guy even refills them by taking the top fitting off the canister, putting in some dry ice, and putting it back on. After it comes up to room temp you got gas again.

Latest posts

Top Bottom