Are you ready?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The time may come when you do not have a choice, like when the government said that everyone has to convert over to digital (flat screen) TV's whether they wanted to or not because ALL broadcast stations were being mandated to shut-down analog broadcasting.

Of course we all know that happened ONLY because our benevolent leaders wanted to make sure we all had a nice picture to watch :blush:
This is somewhat misleading. The government also subsidized digital to analog TV boxes ($40-ish regular price) so folks could buy them for $10.

We bought two boxes, and they both still work. I still watch TV on Sweetie's computer with a CRT monitor (the computer has an analog TV card).
:drunk2:
___

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is somewhat misleading. The government also subsidized digital to analog TV boxes ($40-ish regular price) so folks could buy them for $10.

We bought two boxes, and they both still work. I still watch TV on Sweetie's computer with a CRT monitor (the computer has an analog TV card).
:drunk2:
___
Yes, in many cases the government handed out vouchers so that 'po' people could buy the appropriate technology (digital TV). As far as watching 'analog' TV programs on your computer, the analog TV card converts the digital signal to analog providing an appropriate format for storing media to analog recording devices (think reel-to-reel, cassette, or 8-track tape). You are simply using a legal work-around (digital>analog) rather than just using digital to watch TV on your computer. Digital>analog converters are readily available on Amazon, Best Buy, or Newegg.com.

The whole point of my comment #10 was that, like the mandated change-over from analog to digital format for our entertainment (yes, there are exceptions . . . there are always exceptions), it may come to pass that our government also mandates a changeover from internal combustion driven vehicles to electric whether "We The People" want it or not.

https://www.coltura.org/world-gasoline-phaseoutshttps://www.detroitnews.com/story/b...eks-ban-gas-powered-vehicles-2035/3726009001/https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/23/21452825/california-ban-combustion-gas-vehicles-cars-2035

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, in many cases the government handed out vouchers so that 'po' people could buy the appropriate technology (digital TV). As far as watching 'analog' TV programs on your computer, the analog TV card converts the digital signal to analog providing an appropriate format for storing media to analog recording devices (think reel-to-reel, cassette, or 8-track tape). You are simply using a legal work-around (digital>analog) rather than just using digital to watch TV on your computer. Digital>analog converters are readily available on Amazon, Best Buy, or Newegg.com.
Lol yeah, I know how it works... :D

My point was, the government didn't just hang everyone out to dry on the analog to digital changeover, which seemed to be more/less the gist of your post. If it was not, then I apologize.

Not sure if they can (at this time anyway) ban fossil fuel engines. Folks have to work, and goods (many perishable) have to be delivered. Imagine the cost and maintenance of a battery-power refrigerated semi trailer, for example. Produce prices would go through the roof.

As usual, just my 2¢ ... :drunk2:
___

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lol yeah, I know how it works... :D

My point was, the government didn't just hang everyone out to dry on the analog to digital changeover, which seemed to be more/less the gist of your post. If it was not, then I apologize.

Not sure if they can (at this time anyway) ban fossil fuel engines. Folks have to work, and goods (many perishable) have to be delivered. Imagine the cost and maintenance of a battery-power refrigerated semi trailer, for example. Produce prices would go through the roof.

As usual, just my 2¢ ... :drunk2:
___
Yes my point was that often the government does tend to "leave everyone out to dry" in the sense that Bills are submitted, acted on, and signed into law with little input from or approval of the citizen. I think that too often our representatives prioritize their own interests rather than those of their constituents, and in the case of electric vehicles, yes, I think the time will come when it becomes a case of, like what happened with digital changeover, you will either HAVE to comply with the mandates, or do without unless some sort of legal work-around is found).

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All electric will never be a reality until they spend hundreds of billions on a new electric grid that was designed in the 19th century. You may need your truck to power the whole house.

Its not like wind and solar are powering the USA. You add 100s of millions of new power hungry devices to the grid and those existing lines aren’t going to handle the load, not that we shouldn’t be trying to achieve cleaner technologies but we’re talking decades before an infrastructure could be designed and deployed throughout the US. JMO

lilboots12

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
All electric will never be a reality until they spend hundreds of billions on a new electric grid that was designed in the 19th century. You may need your truck to power the whole house.

Its not like wind and solar are powering the USA. You add 100s of millions of new power hungry devices to the grid and those existing lines aren’t going to handle the load, not that we shouldn’t be trying to achieve cleaner technologies but we’re talking decades before an infrastructure could be designed and deployed throughout the US. JMO

This x10

ICanFixIt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
EV's are a lot like Obamacare. You won't know the bad parts until you own it. I owned an electric motorcycle and am VERY grateful it is no longer mine. Driving around town is it's strong area. If you get out on the Interstate and drive the speed limit, you will quickly discover that your battery is going dead at least 4 times faster as it did in town. Hmmm. The salesman failed to mention that. If you hold the throttle wide-open, your vehicle will shut down to "protect" your battery from overheating. Sitting beside the road waiting for it to recover is NOT cool. Hmmm. The salesman failed to mention that. If anything goes wrong with the vehicle, you can't fix it. Only the dealer and factory have access to the computers. Hmmm. The salesman failed to mention that. I will NEVER own another EV.

My son-in-law has a Tesla, and I'm pretty sure he doesn't want another one. Did I mention, I will NEVER own another EV?

Latest posts

Top Bottom