Auto A/C problem... 'tis the season, eh? lol

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You'll be sorry you added the leak sealer - it's gonna cost you more money to fix the problems it will cause.

Something I've never understood...if you have a refrigerant leak, you also have an oil leak. The oil in an A/C system circulates with the refrigerant, but nobody ever adds oil until their compressor dies.

OK edumacate us. I admit I'm ignorant about it.

Doesn't some of the refrigerant also have the lubricant in it as well?

HiPower

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
None of the refrigerant that I'm aware of has oil in it. The oil comes in 2 oz. bottles. Unfortunately, there's only a couple of ways to get it in the system...one is to pull a vacuum on the system, as in evacuate and recharge completely. Stick the charging hose in the oil bottle. If you don't fix the leak in the process, you WILL pull air into the system using this method. The other way is to pour it into the compressor, which usually means removing the compressor from its mounts and disconnecting the lines from the back. Also blowing the rest of the refrigerant charge in the process, requiring a complete recharge. All inconvenient, but a little labor now will save you from a new compressor later.

The stop leak stuff is a bandaid, same as radiator stop leak is. Pretty well known for clogging evaporators and condensers. When that happens, repairs are pretty steep as it usually can't be cleaned out. It follows the old military saw...never time to do it right, but always time to do it over. Most of us don't have the governments deep pockets, though.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I JUST went through this. The only problem was a clogged cabin air filter.
No cabin air filter in '03 and up. '02 was the last year from what I am reading.

None of the refrigerant that I'm aware of has oil in it. The oil comes in 2 oz. bottles. Unfortunately, there's only a couple of ways to get it in the system...one is to pull a vacuum on the system, as in evacuate and recharge completely. Stick the charging hose in the oil bottle. If you don't fix the leak in the process, you WILL pull air into the system using this method. The other way is to pour it into the compressor, which usually means removing the compressor from its mounts and disconnecting the lines from the back. Also blowing the rest of the refrigerant charge in the process, requiring a complete recharge. All inconvenient, but a little labor now will save you from a new compressor later.

The stop leak stuff is a bandaid, same as radiator stop leak is. Pretty well known for clogging evaporators and condensers. When that happens, repairs are pretty steep as it usually can't be cleaned out. It follows the old military saw...never time to do it right, but always time to do it over. Most of us don't have the governments deep pockets, though.

Well, I don't have the equipment to even begin to do what you're talking about. I guess I'll just hold off and drive it without A/C for the time being. Not really safe to use it in the current condition and risk freezing up the compressor.

There ARE some refrigerants with the oil in them, because I know I saw it at the store. Also, the cans I saw were pressurized with puncture tops... like you would use the same system to put them in that you use for the refrigerant?

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just finished charging my a/c. This is like heaven. Now I can sit in the safety of my car and give the heat outside the middle finger.

OKfella

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Idk about the stop leak aspect, but they DO offer them with oil.

http://www.ussap.com/R-134a-Arctic-Freeze-Refrigerant-Oil-Leak-Sealer_p_443.html

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My friend just replaced a high pressure port in his '04 or '05 Silverado. He was told it was a common thing for the high pressure ports to go bad. He went to Bryant A/C for his parts. I think it cost him about $50 to ge his A/c blowing cold air.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually, what I've got does say it has oil in it. I think I'm going to give it a shot. I just don't have time to get it into the shop at the moment. It'll be next week before I could, and I don't think I can survive multiple-hour drives without air conditioning in this weather.

My friend just replaced a high pressure port in his '04 or '05 Silverado. He was told it was a common for the high pressure ports to go bad. He went to Bryant A/C for his parts. I think it cost him about $50 to ge his A/c blowing cold air.

That's interesting... not sure how I'd find out if that's the issue. I assume the leak identifier will tell me that. Probably no way to change that port without depressurizing the whole system though.

HiPower

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There ARE some refrigerants with the oil in them, because I know I saw it at the store. Also, the cans I saw were pressurized with puncture tops... like you would use the same system to put them in that you use for the refrigerant?
If it's got oil in it, then yes, it charges the same way.

4play

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would not add refrigerant to the system unless you for sure can verify that its low. If its low then you have a leak, if you have a leak you should fix the leak. Your truck was charged from the factory with ultraviolet/fluorescent dye, the dye is bright green, this dye may or may not show up when checking for leaks, but an oily residue on the a/c components or lines could be a giveaway.

Be careful adding oil, too much oil in the system will not help with cooling either. I will never suggest anyone to use a leak sealer product, but I will say I know people who have used it with no problems.

It sounds like your problem may be electrical, I have seen a few GM products with control head problems, along with low side/cycle switch problems. What I would look at first before you dig in too deep, check the A/C condensor for obstructions, also take the the plastic panel off along the core support and look between the the condensor and radiator. I have seen plenty of condensors full of bug guts and junk to restrict airflow, also found plenty of grass/leaf debris between radiator and condensor restricting airflow and most of the time it doesn't seem to affect engine temps before A/C

Latest posts

Top Bottom