Being an Only Child Can Stink

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Being an only child has its pluses and minuses and right now I’m dealing with the latter. I have my mother’s, grandmother’s, great-grandmother’s and wife’s grandmother’s sets of silver. Been putting it off for a year now and decided today is the day to start the ominous process of getting them all bright and sparkly once again…..forks are the worst. 😡 I’m way more nostalgic than my kids which is disappointing and my hope is their children will have an interest in family history. Problem is that leaves me cleaning these darn things for the next 20-25 years until they’d be old enough to be on their own. “Good grief Charlie Brown”.

Last edited:

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most poeple do not start getting nostalgic until they start getting older. When you are young everything is new.
Maybe but that wasn’t how I was as a kid. I’d visit my grandparents and love to go through the boxes containing family treasures from generations past. When I was 16 my Nana said I could take anything I wanted and so I grabbed a box with old watches, knives, straight razors, etc…. I’ve ALWAYS had a thing for older things and the older/simpler ways of life. I should have probably been born at least a century ago.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tarn-X is your friend

I have my maternal grandmother and her mother's silverware. Wif has her maternal grandmother's set. We never have a shortage.

Like you, I am nostalgic and have several heirloom pieces. My daughter does have the bug.

Last edited:

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.
I had the same dilema with my family set of "silverware". I'm not into antiques and to try to sell them to an antique dealer or put on consignment is a waste of time. I seperated out the items marked "sterling" and sold them to a local gold and silver shop and was pleasantly surprised at how much I got.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Apparently I have a magic cabinet or maybe it was the Good Lord taking pity on me but everything I keep in their boxes and stored in a high cabinet in the kitchen looked just as it did two years ago when I went through and cleaned them all. Only set that was tarnished is the one I keep in the dining room buffet which is now cleaned waiting to be put back (not pictured). Thank you Jesus.
73496DBD-E390-46B2-BD78-03D375B96768.jpeg
873AEA1B-5A17-405C-9BD1-FAAB945E073E.jpeg
1B81E6C0-D720-4DC7-8C7F-368E1197AE4D.jpeg
575C9C8C-D215-49C3-9806-760B15764147.jpeg
486D35DA-FB4A-496B-8D69-15D23F4173ED.jpeg

Latest posts

Top Bottom