Best Mid-Tier AR-15 Platforms

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well the AK/SKS argument is a whole separate thing, but I think these guys were talking AR platform DI vs piston. Otherwise, you could also toss in the Sig 556 :)

I tend to towards the advice so far that Aero is a good option "all things considered". Although I stepped up to defend piston guns, for the OP, I think a mid-tier DI AR is what he wants and he has been given some good advice so far in that regard.
just threw that in because everyone Laughs. still not sold on AR's but id take a SKS any day have had probably 7 no bad words for them>

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
They weigh more, are not standardized, and add complexity...but they handle recoil better, are easily adjustable if they ever did get sluggish...if SHTF, which would you rather have? Something to clean all the time or something with glock reliability in rifle form :)
I'll take a DI gun any day. They don't fail...at least mine don't. You can keep your piston gun

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is that the same CheyTac that had the fancy long range guns in the early 2000s? I knew a guy that had something or other to do with Army procurement of some long range guns back then and he brought a gun into my store in some caliber that I think was maybe .408 CheyTac (memory's faded...)? Some pretty cool stuff that guy was involved in and he'd stop by about once a month and show me cool stuff or pictures of cool stuff the Army was doing.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Is that the same CheyTac that had the fancy long range guns in the early 2000s? I knew a guy that had something or other to do with Army procurement of some long range guns back then and he brought a gun into my store in some caliber that I think was maybe .408 CheyTac (memory's faded...)? Some pretty cool stuff that guy was involved in and he'd stop by about once a month and show me cool stuff or pictures of cool stuff the Army was doing.
Not sure but it seems to be...

https://cheytac.com/?product=m200-intervention-2

tou860

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What makes you think a piston gun would be the way to go? (I have a piston ar, so im not completely anti piston at all, but i would love to hear your reasoning.)
I just want a piston AR15 just to try it out, from what I researched PWS is a good bang for the buck, planning to get that with an AERO lower.

Latest posts

Top Bottom