Blown in attic insulation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
29 a piece, I checked, and the I think I need 31-34 bags, I had a guy quote me 725 for 10 inches. Gonna talk to the wife and see about getting it done, think its worth it to pay for it as hot as it is.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
29 a piece, I checked, and the I think I need 31-34 bags, I had a guy quote me 725 for 10 inches. Gonna talk to the wife and see about getting it done, think its worth it to pay for it as hot as it is.

You likely won't need quite as many as that calculator thing says depending on if you have your A/C vents up there, can lights, bathroom exhausts, etc. But it will get you close.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Two thoughts... You will need lights anyway in the attic and it will be almost 150 degrees during the day. Do it at night or better, before the sun comes up when it is coolest. It will not be any harder.

Once you are finished, if you have soffits, take a leaf blower and blow them out from the outside.

You'd be better off by installing baffles of some sort to keep the insulation from ever falling into the soffits. This is what I did. You can stack up the insulation as thick as you want right out to the edge of the wall without worrying about any falling into the soffit.

[Broken External Image]

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score

One thing to be careful of if you hire it done, is to make sure you get what you pay for. Most guys know you won't get in the attic when it is hot, so they might cheat you a little on how many inches of insulation were to be added. It might look right from the access door, but it could be much less in other areas not easily seen from a ladder. We always ran a string to make sure we added the right amount.

You'd be better off by installing baffles of some sort to keep the insulation from ever falling into the soffits. This is what I did. You can stack up the insulation as thick as you want right out to the edge of the wall without worrying about any falling into the soffit.

[Broken External Image]

^^THIS^^

There is more to doing the job right than just turning on the machine, and letting her blow.

huskres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No soffits in this old house which really sucks. I do have gable vents. I really should put in a fan in there also. With being in the attic I have worked outside in really bad conditions in temps from 135 to 160 so I would be ok with 20 or so minutes at a time.

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
No soffits in this old house which really sucks. I do have gable vents. I really should put in a fan in there also. With being in the attic I have worked outside in really bad conditions in temps from 135 to 160 so I would be ok with 20 or so minutes at a time.

The first year after we built our house, our AC struggled to keep the house 74 during the summer months. When we had the AC contractor come out to inspect the system, he showed us the ceiling temp in the house was almost 90 degrees and the attic was close to 140 degrees. I had a fan installed in the attic and put in more of the small vents under the eves. We immediately noticed a huge difference in the air temp inside the house and noticed the unit was getting the house down to 73 to 74 degrees and shutting off during the day as well. This was the fan we installed.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_16917-228-A...t=whole+house+fan&pl=1&currentURL=&facetInfo=

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a gable vent, and soffits. When we roofed our house, I had 2 vents put in, both for a 1400 sq ft attic, my house is 1600 sq ft. Had to have the house roofed again, had a 3rd put in. Thermostats staggered, so one kicks in when attic temp is 120, one at 140, and one at 160. My house will stay cooler if I precool my house, and leave it low, for example, thermostat was set at 76 today, and stayed 78. When I had it set at 78, and programmed to cool to 76 around 3, I would come home to a house that is 80 and stay there till after sundrise. Every room in my house has a ceiling fan I leave running. The fact that it struggles so much, and runs so long is the reason I havent signed up for OG&E's smart hours.

oufan24

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My house is insulated over the living areas, but it's not insulated over the garage. My garage is 1000sqf. Will it make a difference if I insulate above the garage? I'm assuming it would & I plan on doing this soon, but wanted to double check. The reasoning for this would be to keep the whole house cooler/warmer during the seasons. Thanks

Last edited:

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So any reccomendations for someone to do an evaluation and estimate in Tulsa? My house is only 8 years old, but has some issues. The upstairs get's much hotter than down and the master has a 20ft vaulted ceiling and it it's get's pretty hot in there. AC is sized large enough to cool the down stairs and up is marginal in its current state.

Latest posts

Top Bottom