Bought groceries today.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The summer that I started (and stopped) smoking, Marlboros were $0.35 a pack. I was smoking 3 packs a day. Found out I could get 5 used paperbacks books for that money and quit smoking that same day.

That previous year, went with my stepmom to the small grocery store in our small town. Filled the back of the station wagon with $100 worth of groceries. That was in 1972.

In 1973, after I graduated from high school I went to work for K-mart, back in SoCal. Started at $1.25/hour. Enlisted in the USAF later that year, with a starting pay of $326.10, or month, three hots and a cot.

A few days ago, bought three gallons of Braums milk, a couple tubs of cottage cheese, and a few other things, fit in two bags, and carried them out in one hand, and it cost nearly $50.

I worked for Braum's when I was in high school. I remember in '75 when a double dip went up to 50 cents. Oh my word, the clamor!! You would have thought it was the end of the world. Lol Now look at us ... 🤷 I'd LOVE to go back to the prices we had in the 80s even.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those subscription meal things are hella expensive. 🤷 But I can see the draw -- it takes all the work out of gathering up, fixing and eating meals. Unless your like me and just have a ribeye every night or two. 🤷
They built a new Moms Kitchen near me last year. Same kinda deal. I've tryed a few like Hello Fresh. They are quality food and your right, it takes alot of the work out of eating good.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Single mom. No child support. No help from either side. When I met Grumpy I was working 3 jobs. It can be done. It ain't fun and it ain't easy but it can be done.
My mom had a bit of help from her Dad, a little less from her Mom. Nothing at all from my dad's family. She was supposed to get $50 a month in child support. They got divorced when I was 4. He remarried when I was 6. Got another young girl pregnant.

And when we did get a child support check, my stepmom signed it. Dad never did learn to manage money. When I turned 18, we figured out that he still owed us about $7000.

Mom sometimes worked 3 jobs trying to keep us fed and housed. We moved 32 times before I turned 18. She also married and divorced 3 more husbands, though the last divorce was after I left home. Trying to find us a good dad. That didn't work out well, either. We didn't sue to get that money because by that time I had four half brothers and sisters, and my stepmom was a second mom to my brother and me. We figured we'd done OK without that money. Mom was 15 when I was born, turned 16 the next month. Became a waitress around 19. Worked for Denny's before they started using that name, for a total of 40 years. Also a couple other restaurants. At the same time. Also worked as a salesman for my 1st stepfathers business, and later making bronze plaques for tombstones and business signs. After she got ovarian cancer the first time, and healed up from the surgery & chemo, went back to working at Denny's, until the second time the cancer came back. She passed in 2004.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They built a new Moms Kitchen near me last year. Same kinda deal. I've tryed a few like Hello Fresh. They are quality food and your right, it takes alot of the work out of eating good.
SWMBO has tried a few of those, but they come up with some really weird recipes. And they're expensive, but sometimes it works well. Sometimes the stuff arrives pre-spoiled, too. Not so good then.

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1695217148203992.jpg

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
About $6 a meal is what I'm seeing. I prefer filets
I feel like meal subscription deals aren't worth the time or money. It costs $6.00/meal? You're gonna get a $6.00 meal, and that price is gonna include cooking, packaging, and transportation. I haven't found anyone who paid for the premade meals and said they were satisfied.

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I feel like meal subscription deals aren't worth the time or money. It costs $6.00/meal? You're gonna get a $6.00 meal, and that price is gonna include cooking, packaging, and transportation. I haven't found anyone who paid for the premade meals and said they were satisfied.
My wife got one for a bit. It was fun for a bit for new recipes, but once it started repeating we cancelled. I see it more as an experience than groceries.

Latest posts

Top Bottom