Bought groceries today.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I worked for Braum's when I was in high school. I remember in '75 when a double dip went up to 50 cents. Oh my word, the clamor!! You would have thought it was the end of the world. Lol Now look at us ... 🤷 I'd LOVE to go back to the prices we had in the 80s even.
I don’t want to go back to the pay I had in the 80s

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don’t want to go back to the pay I had in the 80s

Try early '70's. I worked a short time as a bank guard on the midnight shift at the (then called) Liberty National Bank (the 36 story building that has put up lights to create a cross on all for sides for Christmas) and was paid $1.65 per hour. That was a nickel above minimum wage.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Try early '70's. I worked a short time as a bank guard on the midnight shift at the (then called) Liberty National Bank (the 36 story building that has put up lights to create a cross on all for sides for Christmas) and was paid $1.65 per hour. That was a nickel above minimum wage.
$1.65 hr and gas was $0.32 gal. A hamburger was $0.35, fries $0.15 and drink $0.15. Movie on Friday night $1.75.
Rent $125 and $110 car payment on a gorgeous '74 Monte Carlo. Times were good. Out of school and new job in '76, pay jumped to $5.40.

We weren't rich, but we were living good. Better than today.

Tinytim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Single mom. No child support. No help from either side. When I met Grumpy I was working 3 jobs. It can be done. It ain't fun and it ain't easy but it can be done.
Same here, my second Daughter, Jordan, had a rough start, downes trisomy 21, open heart at three months, 27 more procedures over three months in ICU. She’s a healthy 21 year old now. In the end, my part of medical bills was $754,000.00 and all the follow up visits.
I worked three steady jobs for the next 10 years, to pay off that massive bill. Once I payed it off, I worked a few more months, realized I had worked there 28 years, paying the medical debt and for a few other reasons I decided to retire. We lived happily ever after.

Tinytim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I feel like meal subscription deals aren't worth the time or money. It costs $6.00/meal? You're gonna get a $6.00 meal, and that price is gonna include cooking, packaging, and transportation. I haven't found anyone who paid for the premade meals and said they were satisfied.
I tried them, not impressed, second batch was spoiled, when I called, I was told I should have placed them in the fridge, they were left on the front porch three days earlier, I ended our subscription.

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I remember when we would collect bottles to buy the RC.
Jim,
"old and in the way, thats what I heard em say, they used to heed the words you said, but that was yesterday, old and turnin gray, soon faded away, nobody cares about you when you're old and in the way"

Latest posts

Top Bottom