Bugging Out, SoCal to OK in a 68 Baja bug

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Made that trip on a motorcycle a few times. In the summer. I'm stupid.

I'm stupid too... I've made the Oklahoma to San Diego trip about 20 or so times total in my life and once on a sportbike taking only one overnight Grants or Winslow, can't remember, too many years ago. It wasn't as fun as I had imagined it would be. I should have taken more stops.

That brings to mind something since you won't have AC and likely windows down etc... STAY HYDRATED. Wait, you know that already... you're the Plan B guy so you'll have a Camelbak strapped and going. :)

dubs chops

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm stupid too... I've made the Oklahoma to San Diego trip about 20 or so times total in my life and once on a sportbike taking only one overnight Grants or Winslow, can't remember, too many years ago. It wasn't as fun as I had imagined it would be. I should have taken more stops.

That brings to mind something since you won't have AC and likely windows down etc... STAY HYDRATED. Wait, you know that already... you're the Plan B guy so you'll have a Camelbak strapped and going. :)

Yes sir, will have a full bladder in reserve at all times and a full nalgene in the front seat with me. along with a few gallons rolling around in the back as well ;]

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man, I have gone from Phoenix to OKC and back on a rigid frame Panhead. It's not that bad. Of course, I was 23 at the time. Be one with the road. I came back the southern route, through Clovis and Roswell in a 1965 Dodge van, with my bike and everything I owned in it. August. Mid mounted motor. No AC. Now THAT was tough.

Tucumcari Tonight!

swamp donkey

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
lol, that's what I love about my bug, it's a great bug-out vehicle. my 13 gallons of gas can get me super far and it's agile, narrow and quick enough to get me the hell out of danger. and god forbid we get hit by an EMP, drop in the points and condenser, push start it and go!

have a safe trip, don't forget to open the pass wing window as far as it will go so that you get some forced air cooling

dubs chops

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Think I have my brain wrapped around the gun laws now and a very important piece of gear for this trip came in today! my Adventure hat.

[Broken External Image]

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If that suspension is half as functional as it looks then your ride back should be pretty smooth, bumps in the road wise. I've made trips in mechanically questionable vehicles before. Never a dull moment.

pinkhamr

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Glad you are looking forward to the trip ........ I had to make the drive from Oakland, CA to OKC back in the early 70's ....... Gas Rationing and all that ...... sure was a PITA ..... Sure glad I have Phillipine Plates on the car so I could buy gas whenever I needed it ...... No 'odd or even' days for me ..... Enjoy!

dubs chops

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am Home. I didn't get to update from the road like I had wanted. I will do a write up here pretty quick with all the pictures. Lets just say It did not end like I had hoped it would.

Latest posts

Top Bottom