Camping with Kids

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottt

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
We're looking to take our kids on their first camping trip during fall break later this week. Can I get some suggestions on places to go for two days within a reasonable distance of OKC? We will be sleeping in a tent and the kids are 5 and 6. Any ideas on activities to do with kids this age would be appreciated. This is our first trip and I'm hoping to make it enjoyable enough that they can't wait to go again.

Rooster1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We camped at Chickasaw Recreation area at Sulfur when the kids were young. Sulfur springs to play in, trails, and a nature center. Has bathrooms and showers. Lake Arbuckle is close also.

Roman Nose by Watonga is close. Lakes, trails. Horseback riding, canyons....you can rent a TeePee to sleep in.

These were a couple things we did when our kids were young and not too far to drive.

JonDough

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sulfur was a cool place every time we went. creeks right by the camping areas and trees. Make sure you secure your food as there are raccoons...lolol

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another nice place to consider is Red Rock Canyon State Park on the south side of Hinton, OK. This time of year might see it not have a lot of people in it, but I'd check online to see if tent camping is available. We stayed out there for a week in 2011, but it was in an RV, so I can't say on the camping. Mostly, the canyon offers hiking, but Hinton also has a small museum that is also kind of on the south side of town.

TravelOK site

Trip Advisor Reviews

Stateparks.com website

Foghorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This time of year my favorite place to go is the witchita mountains down by lawton. The elk are bugleing and theres tons of nice trails to explore, and places to fish. Rangers tend to keep a tight lid on things so theres little worry of ending up next a drunken idiot partying all night.
I love sitting by the campfire listening to the elk, its very cool.

Nothing screams poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sulfur was a cool place every time we went. creeks right by the camping areas and trees. Make sure you secure your food as there are raccoons...lolol

hahaha!!! first time we camped there, I heard a noise in the middle of the night. Got up and went outside the tent and raccoons took the bread.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
We're also going camping for the first time as a family this week... going to go to Osage Hills State Park west of Bartlesville. We spent a ton of money getting everything ready to go this summer, I asked off 3 months in advance - then we got rained out. <sigh>

So we're gonna try it again this week. I'd appreciate some tips on activities, too. Obviously fishing, hiking, campfire cooking and such is high on the list. But we're also going to bring REAL paperback books and some board games, etc. No electronics allowed.

I've been without a cell phone for 6 months (voluntary), but the wife has been after me to turn it back on and since my truck broke down on my on the way home from work this morning and stranded me, I guess I'm getting a "message from above". Dangit.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another nice place to consider is Red Rock Canyon State Park on the south side of Hinton, OK. This time of year might see it not have a lot of people in it, but I'd check online to see if tent camping is available. We stayed out there for a week in 2011, but it was in an RV, so I can't say on the camping. Mostly, the canyon offers hiking, but Hinton also has a small museum that is also kind of on the south side of town.

TravelOK site

Trip Advisor Reviews

Stateparks.com website

Red Rock Canyon does allow tent camping.

cody6766

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All the places mentioned are great. As far as making the kids have fun, bring things to keep them comfortable and they'll do fine. Games like cornhole are a good idea, and bring some snack foods. Entertainment and keeping familiar things for night time are key in my experience. Yes, you're camping/roughing it, but bringing the kids' pillows are a nice touch.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here are a couple that are a bit further, but TOTALLY worth it.

Beavers Bend in Broken Bow 3hr 40 from OKC. Amazing place, great fishing (Trout!) plenty of camp grounds, tons of stuff to do, excellent camping trip location. This is where we like to go.

Robber's Cave in Wilburton OK 2.5 hours from OKC. Fishing, the caves, all kinds of stuff here as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom