Chainsaw blade sharpening

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've cut a load of downed trees over the last couple of weeks. Does anyone have advice on sharpening a chain? Something that actually works.

I've tried the file method with little to no luck getting a good cutting edge.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have had a mower shop sharpen my stihl chain, a friend owns the shop.
No charge I watched him.
I sharpened my own other chain the same way on his machine and on an electric a buddy gave me.

The trick for my cutting style is 30°
Factory Stihl chains I use are 30°

25 cuts slow.
Those electric machines do not get the chain near as good as my hand filed chains.
In fact every chain that got the electric treatment cut so poor that i hand filed them to make them cut to my standard.

On a Stihl chain there is a hash mark on the top of the cutter tooth and that hash is at a 30° to the cutting edge.

Makes it easy to file by hand keeping that angle.

Both sides need the same angle or the chain will not cut straight and will want to bind in deep wood.

Files cut 1 direction do not pull a file backwards it will dull it and cutting performance of the file will suffer.

If you go electric then just tap the tooth and release and tap again and release.
You do not want to over heat the cutting tooth. If you do it will not keep an edge.

Make sure the chain gets a lot of oil when in use on the saw.
Should go without saying but my newer MS250 and a buddies 250 do not plow near enough oil.
I had to modify them.

I leave the chain on the bar when sharpening it.
Of course keep it out of dirt and rocks when using it on the saw.

Take a very close look at the cutting edge of the tooth .
Notice the very outside leading edge of the cutting tooth.
Is it slightly beveled in or chamfered in on the outside.
If yes then it will not cut well until you grind that tooth to eliminate all that bevel.

That bevel is from dirty wood or dirt or rock.
It may be 1/2 the length of the cutting tooth if you ran it a lot in the dirt .. if that is the case time for a new chain and clean the groove in the bar out really well.

You may know all the above already but if not then ya do now unless i can't type what I wish to explain.
:)

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If your hand filing dont wait til it is dull to sharpen it, it is harder to get back sharp but just every so often take a break and hit it with a file.
Back when i run a saw on a daily acurrance i always kept 5 or 6 chains per saw in the truck so i could swap out on a regular basis, but then i was out at 1 or 2 am cutting trees and didnt have time to stop and either take the chain in to be sharpened or hit with a file

Glockisgood17

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Imho most people over sharpen their blades. It shouldn’t take a whole lot of filing to get a chain resharpened unless it’s in bad shape. Get Stihl files, they seem to work the best for me. I have 4 saws now, 3 sets of blades for each one with the correct size file. Also, change the bar over, I do it every time I change, chains. Just flip it 180 degrees when you put the bar back on.

Regards,

Latest posts

Top Bottom