Chainsaw blade sharpening

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been using one of these for many years.
Screenshot_20230701-233027.png

Husqvarna brand on my Stihl saw

AKmoose

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bought one of these years ago, and still use it. Works just fine.
Electric Chain Saw Sharpener
I have one of those also that I traded a buddy something I can't remember for. Works good by just satting the angle at what factory angle is and taking a touch of the depth blade at 0 degree a touch, too much and it;ll chew like a beaver but will try to grab a bit more than I like.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You must remove the chain to really sharpen. A file and a decent bench vise, and a handle for your file clamp 3/4 links at a time, go thru one side then do it on the other Perfect

John R. Reist

Marksman
Reaction score
My brother cuts fire wood for a living and is kind of a Stihl snob. He will give each tooth on his saw about three swipes with a file every tank of gas. He doesn't wait until the chain noticeably dulls, he says sharpen a little every tank of gas to maintain a sharp edge. Keep a constant angle when you file and throw away the file when it starts to dull, thy are consumable. And after several tooth sharpenings you will need to check the depth gauges (rakers) on the chain and file them down otherwise it won't matter how sharp the tooth is, if it can't reach and get a good bite in the wood it won't cut . And don't hit things when you are cutting! If he hits a rock of fence wire ,he often just throws the chain away, says it will never cut quite as good no matter how much you sharpen. I Hope this info is of use to someone.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I take them to country equipment and pay to have them sharpened. But I don’t cut much so it’s maybe once a year at most.

If I used my chainsaw more regularly, I would definitely be learning to sharpen myself

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My brother cuts fire wood for a living and is kind of a Stihl snob. He will give each tooth on his saw about three swipes with a file every tank of gas. He doesn't wait until the chain noticeably dulls, he says sharpen a little every tank of gas to maintain a sharp edge. Keep a constant angle when you file and throw away the file when it starts to dull, thy are consumable. And after several tooth sharpenings you will need to check the depth gauges (rakers) on the chain and file them down otherwise it won't matter how sharp the tooth is, if it can't reach and get a good bite in the wood it won't cut . And don't hit things when you are cutting! If he hits a rock of fence wire ,he often just throws the chain away, says it will never cut quite as good no matter how much you sharpen. I Hope this info is of use to someone.
Was going to ask if anyone filed down the raker but didn’t want to get run out of town. Thanks

Latest posts

Top Bottom