Chainsaw blade sharpening

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is something I have been wanting to try out.
https://www.mgpsupply.com/products/vallorbe-double-chisel-bit-files-1
Watch the video.

I also want to try a skip tooth and 1/2 tooth skip chain.

The 1/2 skip tooth is maybe called something else but the object is to have a tooth that has been narrowed so it only cuts 1/2 the width and then a full width tooth follows that but only needs to cut the other 1/2.
It is also a skip tooth though.
Supposed to cross cut much better (Make slabs) and running a longer bar for wider slabs requires more power and the skip tooth helps out the smaller saws when a long bar is needed.

Of course my MS250 has oil and muffler mods done to it.
Amazing what some muffler mods do to 2 stroke engines.
I watched the video and found it to be an interesting concept. My question is, there is no option for different size chains or pitch. Does that mean the file is a "One Size Fits All"?????

Btw, I use a dremel type tool and then do a finishing touch with a hand file.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always try to hit mine with a hand file on every tank of gas. With a good sharp file it does not take long. But I have a dremil type tool with an angle gage build on the nose that works pretty good for working with me over.

I don’t do it enough to be fast with a hand file.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back when was running a saw a lot for a couple of years I had at least 12 chains, I would drop off half every other week at a then local auto parts store to have them sharpened, also bought my chain saw supplies there.

I never could get the dang things sharp, so I let them do it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got the chain saw sharpening kit for my Dremel. Works great for me. My son bought a table top model from (IIRC) Harbor Freight. He's quite pleased with it. He doesn't cut commercially, but he's cut down a lot of trees and cut them up for firewood while clearing some lots up at Kaw Lake. His saws do get a workout!
I bought one of the Harbor Freight electric sharpeners.
The first attempt didn’t go well as I didn’t read the instructions which would have negated my man card. Unsure what to do now. 😂
I’ve successfully sharpened them for years with a hand file while cutting and splitting for money in the 80’s, now just cutting the downed limbs in the yard.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought one of the Harbor Freight electric sharpeners.
The first attempt didn’t go well as I didn’t read the instructions which would have negated my man card. Unsure what to do now. 😂
I’ve successfully sharpened them for years with a hand file while cutting and splitting for money in the 80’s, now just cutting the downed limbs in the yard.

When all else fails ... read the instructions!

Latest posts

Top Bottom