Cheap security camera

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's a hell of a deal. I ordered two.
That being said, a friend just got his home broken into with some guns stolen. The first thing that happened is they their pulled the meter so the security cameras died. Fortunately, they had a camera on the meter so there was a video, but it was at night and not real clear.
None of the 1080P show enough night vision for a perfect ID.
The two I bought are going to have a battery backup with inverter for the system, so there will be some recording still going on if the meter is pulled.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's a hell of a deal. I ordered two.
That being said, a friend just got his home broken into with some guns stolen. The first thing that happened is they their pulled the meter so the security cameras died. Fortunately, they had a camera on the meter so there was a video, but it was at night and not real clear.
None of the 1080P show enough night vision for a perfect ID.
The two I bought are going to have a battery backup with inverter for the system, so there will be some recording still going on if the meter is pulled.

This is just getting outrageous. We're coming to a point where it will require concertina wire around each home with a guard posted to challenge each person approaching for the password. Orders are shoot to kill those without the password. Every time you think you've made an advance in security improvements, the scumbags advance another step to overcome it by any means necessary. Used to be security procedures like an alarm system and big dog could deter most d-bags. So the d-bags upped their game by cutting the telephone connection and the alarm wouldn't alert authorities. Then they take the dog out with poisoned meat. Next came wireless alarm notifications and camera systems so the d-bags go whole hog and pull the meter to take out the electrical system, along with your refrigerator and freezer full of food.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got burglarized during broad daylight some years back. Bastids are bold! I have a security system of course, but they were in and out in seconds. Got what they came for and were gone! Had to be someone who had been in the house before I figure...maybe it will happen again, but I'd like to be home next time to greet them.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Indoor use only. No thanks. I don't need 14 day rolling cloud storage of me roaming around in my underwear. Some Russians will hack it and sell it to TMZ or something.

Lol, it won’t be running while we are home, but I thought these would be a good test to check our WiFi system out. This $20 unit even alerts you if your smoke alarm or CO alarm goes off. Does it by listening for the beeps from the alarm. Smoke has 3 beeps, and CO alarms have 4.
We’re going with a more robust system down the road.
The first thing we had to do is get rid of the satellite internet system. There is too much lag to use a wireless. They can’t sync during the set up process.
Some of the more expensive ones have facial recognition so they don’t trigger an alert.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
These are similar to the Xiaofang cheap units out there. I'd be surprised if they aren't running the same firmware.

You can replace the firmware on a Xiaofang with a custom firmware, adding a lot of features and keeping your connections local. With the added RTSP server, you can stream to an NVR like BlueIris or something.

Just search for "your purchased product name" site:github.com on Google. It will generally get you to the hacks available for a device.

I've decompiled the binaries on a Yi Home camera (another Xiaomi camera) before, the device itself didn't appear to do anything nefarious. But who knows what they do with their oversight and feeds from your device...

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
These are similar to the Xiaofang cheap units out there. I'd be surprised if they aren't running the same firmware.

You can replace the firmware on a Xiaofang with a custom firmware, adding a lot of features and keeping your connections local. With the added RTSP server, you can stream to an NVR like BlueIris or something.

Just search for "your purchased product name" site:github.com on Google. It will generally get you to the hacks available for a device.

I've decompiled the binaries on a Yi Home camera (another Xiaomi camera) before, the device itself didn't appear to do anything nefarious. But who knows what they do with their oversight and feeds from your device...
Yeah, what HE SAID :anyone:

Latest posts

Top Bottom