Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon vs Toyota Tacoma

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKmoose

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A lot of replies to this thread are referring to the old Colorado/canyons, they are totally new for 2015. I test drove a 4x4 and they are smooth and quiet. Sticker mpg is 20-24 and felt like it had enough power. Not sure I'm wanting car payments again and they are pricey, for the V6 Z71 it went from 30,000 to 37,000.

securitysix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's what the 2016 sticker may look like. Looks like a new motor and transmission.

View attachment 49774
View attachment 49775

The 4-cylinder is the same 4-cylinder it's had for a while. The V-6 is a new engine. The old engine was a 4.0 liter traditional V-6. The new engine is a 3.5-liter direct-injection Atkinson cycle V6. I suspect this will turn out to be the same engine that is currently in use in the Highlanders, although it may be tuned for different performance numbers.

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm going to resurrect this thread.
I was able to test drive all the midsizes today and compare them over the afternoon. I present too you, in chronological order, the midsize experience:

Nissan Frontier
Models driven: SV V6 4x4 CC short bed w/o Value Truck Package and a CC Pro-4x with the Luxury Package from Fenton Nissan East

+Most torque in class
+Great driving position, clear view of road
+Good acceleration, I could not distinguish between models when it came to acceleration.
+The included bed rails, including those on the floor of the bed (which no one else has)
+Simple design with no frills
+Value for the Luxury Package on the Pro-4x. It is cheaper than a Z71 and and the same price as a TSS (not even mentioning the TRDs), and it is reeaally nice inside.
+Lockable tailgate and very sturdy, felt like a small version of a fullsize tailgate.
-Worst mileage of class.
-Slack in brake pedal.
-Smallest crew cab rear seat of the class. Uncomfortable upright seating position, could become a pain for passengers in long journeys.

Toyota Tacoma
Models driven: 4x4 V6 SR5 TSS Crew Cab short bed from Hudiburg Toyota

+Most comfortable back seat between the Frontier and Tacoma, and close to the Colorado's
+Smooth acceleration and shifting and decent ride.
+Lacked bed rail for cargo attachments, but does have them on sides and front of bed.
+More storage behind rear seats and in cubby-holes on bed.
+Its reputation for resale and reliability exceeds the Frontier, which has a decent underground reputation to beat.
-Seat was not tall enough for my wife, who could barely see over the dash. However, when she did, the hood bulge bothered her and the sun reflecting off was very distracting. I noticed this as well and didn't like it.
-Really flimsy and thin-feeling tailgate.
-Price. The TSS was not nearly as nice nor did it have the offroad specs, but is cost roughly the same as the decked-out Pro-4x (rear locker, Bilstein shocks, full leather, heated seats/mirror, moonroof, nav system).
-Lowest HP and torque in class.
-Smaller bed with wheel wells noticeably intruding into bed area.

Chevy Colorado
Models driven: 4x4 Z71 Crew Cab short bed from Hudiburg Chevy

+By far the nicest interior. Quality feel, big buttons, and big touchscreen. everything looks and feels modern. The backseat is spacious and comfortable (for a midsize anyway).
+Deep bed, it appeared to be about 6-8 inches deeper than competitors. Sturdy but non-lockable tailgate, which also is dampened so it won't slam down.
+Reported mileage is excellent.
+Highest HP in class
+On-star (could be a plus or minus depending upon your level of paranoia).
+Nav system is easy to use with larger touchscreen.
-Pricey. the Z71 was $4-5k more than the luxuried Pro-4x.
-The ride and noise level was not was I was expecting. It was definitely louder than the others and wind noise and road noise was noticeable. This surprised me the most given reviews. The dealer tried to play it off as the Z71 package, but the other offroad packages from competitors wasn't as bad.
-The AC was also very loud compared. Maybe it was working better, but I couldn't tell.
-No e-locker. Have to rely upon a limited slip...yuck.

I'll also add that Fenton Nissan was the best dealer, they weren't pushy and were very accommodating to my requests. Hudiburg Toyota was also very nice, I would go back if I was interested in the Taco. Hudiburg Chevy however, were pushy and seemed to lose some interest once I told them I wasn't there to buy, but doing research. Hudiburg Toyota and Fenton never asked when I would be back or asked aabout trade-ins after I said I was just researching. Hudiburg Chevy's salesman asked both within the first 2 minutes.

Personally, I'm sold on the Frontier now. I'll be getting a Pro-4x w/ Luxury package within the month. Its ride was still really good, and it handled what rough terrain I could find in Del City well at speed. The leather and controls was also very nice for the money. Nissan has a lot of value for the money, but still has a underground reputation for reliability. Even better, it was the wife's favorite too. :woot:

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So as an update...I got my dream truck...pics first...

[Broken External Image]

2015 Nissan Frontier Pro-4x with Luxury Package. I'll give the cons I've noticed 300 miles in first....
-Mileage (averaging about 17 right now with a V6 and I haven't been too much thrashing)
-Small backseat in the crewcab. Upright and tight if tall people are in the front seat.

That's about it....on the plus side...
+With Bilstein shocks and decently aggressive ATs, the ride is beautiful (over potholes, fields, roads, whatever). Very very happy with the ride and quietness of the Pro-4x. I can go down some of the potholey roads south of I-40 on Choctaw and be able to talk to the passenger at a quiet "night" voice. Very little noise considering its an offroad trim. It was easily the thing I am surprised with and happy about so far...
+tried a 45 degree slope 2 hours after I bought it. I didn't use hill ascent assist, but it made it half way up before I pu$$ied out in my spanking new machine. The locker worked as expected and the truck seemed quite capable. My offroading 1st Gen Taco friend was quite impressed.
+The Rockford Fosgate sound system is badass....playing metal or rap with the windows and sunroof down is amazing.
+The Metallic Arctic Blue is the best color of vehicle known to man...Had to go to Tulsa to get that color though.

[Broken External Image]

Found a millings pile behind the Yukon Lowes....

[Broken External Image]

Some say the interior is dated. While certain parts can be plasticly and somewhat dated, I suspect they will also be easy to clean.

[Broken External Image]

One more, it was a little dirty from thee test drive and the 2 hour period after purchase.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So as an update...I got my dream truck...pics first...

[Broken External Image]

2015 Nissan Frontier Pro-4x with Luxury Package. I'll give the cons I've noticed 300 miles in first....
-Mileage (averaging about 17 right now with a V6 and I haven't been too much thrashing)
-Small backseat in the crewcab. Upright and tight if tall people are in the front seat.

That's about it....on the plus side...
+With Bilstein shocks and decently aggressive ATs, the ride is beautiful (over potholes, fields, roads, whatever). Very very happy with the ride and quietness of the Pro-4x. I can go down some of the potholey roads south of I-40 on Choctaw and be able to talk to the passenger at a quiet "night" voice. Very little noise considering its an offroad trim. It was easily the thing I am surprised with and happy about so far...
+tried a 45 degree slope 2 hours after I bought it. I didn't use hill ascent assist, but it made it half way up before I pu$$ied out in my spanking new machine. The locker worked as expected and the truck seemed quite capable. My offroading 1st Gen Taco friend was quite impressed.
+The Rockford Fosgate sound system is badass....playing metal or rap with the windows and sunroof down is amazing.
+The Metallic Arctic Blue is the best color of vehicle known to man...Had to go to Tulsa to get that color though.

[Broken External Image]

Found a millings pile behind the Yukon Lowes....

[Broken External Image]

Some say the interior is dated. While certain parts can be plasticly and somewhat dated, I suspect they will also be easy to clean.

[Broken External Image]

One more, it was a little dirty from thee test drive and the 2 hour period after purchase.

Gorgeous truck! I like the feel of nissans as much if not more than toyotas.

Latest posts

Top Bottom