Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon vs Toyota Tacoma

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

300WSM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You must like poor fit and finish and listening to rattles when you go down the road. Theres only three lines of vehicles from the big three i would purchase. 1-Ford F Series. 2-Ford Mustang (they rattle after about 50k, but I've always liked them anyway). 3-Chevrolet Corvette.

Any other vehicle i would purchase would have its roots in Japan.

Simon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What do you guys think of the 2015 Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon? Would you consider buying one over a Toyota Tacoma? Especially considering the Taco is about to get an update in 2016?

A while back I was looking at the Colorado/Canyon in the local dealership and a Chevy tech walked by and said to me "you do not want one of those". I don,t think they have improved much in the last couple of years.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Remember the $2 ignition part GM was too cheap to correct? There could be over 300 that were killed because of this part. That is a perfect example of GMs cost savings phylosophy. They put cost savings over safety, reliability and dependibilty.

There was also the side mount truck gas tanks that would cause a fire if there was a side impact. This was a long time ago, but the philosophy has not changed.

264killer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How did they make the front wheel spin when the back wheel was not turning? Also it's on a incline witch makes backing easyer.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How did they make the front wheel spin when the back wheel was not turning? Also it's on a incline witch makes backing easyer.

Lots of vehicles will do that. I think that truck has regular open differentials so the wheel with the least amount of resistance gets the power. That not good and it's how they all work. Lacking lockers only one wheel in the front and one in the rear will get power. That truck probably uses the same kind of traction control that works by applying the brakes to the slipping tire to send power to the other wheel that has more traction. Land rovers do this well. Probably most any truck with the same system will do it as well. Here's a cool video where you can see the tire in the air being braked.

http://youtu.be/lyl7ytk1YIw

DPI

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A

The rear axle is probably either open or a limited slip. So the wheels with the least amount of traction will spin.

Then, it looks like they probably locked the rear axle, and possibly the front as well to make all 4 tires spin.

I had an atlas transfer case in my k5. I could lock the front axle and disconnect the rear axle. So, the front tires would pull while the rear was open and would not spin. However I doubt the Tacoma has that functionality.

DPI

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's what the 2016 sticker may look like. Looks like a new motor and transmission.

View attachment 49774
image.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom