Cooking/Food thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Took my son out for a steak tonight. "Best place in town". lol. What a joke. Not that I ever forgot why I cook steaks at home, but I won't bother buying another steak out in a restaurant for a while. I do 100x the job they do, and it costs me... well, hell, this woulda cost me about 20% of the cost of dining out. Sheesh.

Saved some for the wife, just so she can try it and appreciate that much more how mine taste! ;)

Nothing better than steaks cooked at home, but I will say the ones on the outside grill at Big Daddy’s, the best “dam”restaurant on Lake Tenkiller smelled amazing. We were leaving after some fair BBQ and had to walk by the grill.
Should have stuck my head in there to see what/if any spices were in sight, but we were on a mission.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've pretty much now crossed off steak, as well as BBQ, as something else I won't eat out at a restaurant. :( I just can't make myself DO it anymore. Every time I do, I am at the very BEST simply "meh" about it, and at the worst (like last night), I feel not just disgusted, but really angry at myself for doing what I knew better than to do.

As for the cut of meat, I have quite literally gotten ribeyes at WalMart that were easily better steaks than the one they served me last night. There was essentially NO seasoning of the meat, as far as I could tell. I'm just... really just utterly disappointed in myself.

Don't get me wrong - there are a few places I've been who cook and serve REALLY good steaks, almost - ALMOST - as good as I can cook for myself at home. But those places cost more for me to eat than I would spend buying dry-aged and Prime steaks for my entire family AND neighbors on both side. Just for ONE.

I just don't think I can make myself DO it anymore. Every day I become more of a hermit. lol. I think I'll have to stick to only going out for ethnic foods, really. Italian, Chinese (although here in B'ville, that's a problem), etc.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Meh...

...maybe it's because we grew up in agriculture, but seasoned steaks just don't cut it for me. I want one with hardly any seasoning. I think the wife puts on maybe 3 or 4 drops of Worcestershire sauce, and that's all I want. No ketchup or A-1 will ever touch my steaks.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Meh...

...maybe it's because we grew up in agriculture, but seasoned steaks just don't cut it for me. I want one with hardly any seasoning. I think the wife puts on maybe 3 or 4 drops of Worcestershire sauce, and that's all I want. No ketchup or A-1 will ever touch my steaks.

I only put salt, pepper and garlic on mine. But I'm talking this had NOTHING. Not even salt. I'm sorry, I'm a meat eater, but meat needs salt. Period. I can't think of a meat that doesn't.

<edit> Oh, and I can't stand grass-fed beef. At least, I mean, those not grain-fed prior to slaughter. Damn hippies and tree-huggers can have all the "grass-fed" stuff they want.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK. The wife just informed me I am a liar.

She said she puts on about a teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce and also puts on some Mrs. Dash or Grillmate's Montreal seasoning.

She also says she never seems to do the steaks the same twice in a row. She also cooks them very slow with a lid so they get done in the center. If I wanted a rare steak, I'd be raising beef and slicing of a chunk in the pasture.

Oh, and I agree that "grass-fed" beef is horrible. They really need to be grained.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Let me put in a plug for a fantastic breakfast/brunch place in OKC: Sunnyside Diner at 916 NW 6th ( NW 6th and Classen). I had a superb chicken fried steak and eggs with biscuit and hash browns. It was one of the best comfort food kinda breakfast meals I’ve had in a long time. Eggs are fried in butter. The gravy is excellent, biscuits are big and made just like Grandma would have made (if she knew how to cook). The CF Steak itself was cooked perfectly crisp in an excellent batter...even the coffee is top shelf. This little diner ranks right up there with Aurora and Cafe Kacao as far as breakfast places in the OKC Metro go. You will not leave hungry either, the food comes out on a big platter instead of a plate. Getcha some. It’s good eats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Best steak marinade.
50/50 - soy sauce and garlic wine vinegar (pour on till it puddles in the pan
Garlic powder
ground black pepper
sprinkle of sugar
Salt if you like
For a tougher cut of meat, marinade longer to tenderize (6-8 hours) - the vinegar will turn a tougher sirloin tender and take the game outa a deer steak
For a good ribeye I marinade only about 2 hours.
Most of what your getting is tenderization and a little added flavor, still plenty of "meat" flavor.
Just try it once...you maybe hooked
I have fed deer steaks to people who claim to "not like deer" and they raved about it - never knew it was deer until I told them afterwards.

Last edited:

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Let me put in a plug for a fantastic breakfast/brunch place in OKC: Sunnyside Diner at 916 NW 6th ( NW 6th and Classen). I had a superb chicken fried steak and eggs with biscuit and hash browns. It was one of the best breakfast meals I’ve ever had. Eggs are fried in butter. The gravy is excellent, biscuits are big and made just like Grandma would have made (if she knew how to cook). The CF itself was in an excellent batter...even the coffee is top shelf. This little diner ranks right up there with Aurora and Cafe Kacao as far as breakfasts places go. You will not leave hungry either, the food comes out in a platter instead of a plate. Getcha some.

That sounds excellent. Next time we stay in OKC, we're going to have to check it out. Thanks! I think I can remember 6th & Classen.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've pretty much now crossed off steak, as well as BBQ, as something else I won't eat out at a restaurant. :( I just can't make myself DO it anymore. Every time I do, I am at the very BEST simply "meh" about it, and at the worst (like last night), I feel not just disgusted, but really angry at myself for doing what I knew better than to do.

As for the cut of meat, I have quite literally gotten ribeyes at WalMart that were easily better steaks than the one they served me last night. There was essentially NO seasoning of the meat, as far as I could tell. I'm just... really just utterly disappointed in myself.

Don't get me wrong - there are a few places I've been who cook and serve REALLY good steaks, almost - ALMOST - as good as I can cook for myself at home. But those places cost more for me to eat than I would spend buying dry-aged and Prime steaks for my entire family AND neighbors on both side. Just for ONE.

I just don't think I can make myself DO it anymore. Every day I become more of a hermit. lol. I think I'll have to stick to only going out for ethnic foods, really. Italian, Chinese (although here in B'ville, that's a problem), etc.

I get it. Wife and I try to only go to places that serve up something we don’t or can’t do at home. I’m gonna have steak this evening, but I’ll cook it on my grill. I may give Chenrys marinade a try. Just to see.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did some ribs last night, with some mashed potatoes and oven braised asparagus in olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic with some parmesan cheese and chopped almond slivers. Now THAT was some good asparagus. Good eatin' all around. Neighbor brought over a cornbread casserole with green chiles in it. Overall, we had the neighbors from both sides as well as my parents. It was a good family & friends time, punctuated by some great food.

The ribs were pretty decent, I went back to my old standby dry rub and the family was happy. A couple weeks ago, I tried to do a sticky rib concoction, smoking them already cut up into individual ribs, then slathering on BBQ sauce the last hour or so. They weren't impressed. Neither was I, I didn't cook them long enough and they were a bit tough. The next day, I threw them back in the oven in foil for a few hours and they tenderized a lot more, but still wasn't what we were used to or preferred. So, for the time being, it's back to amped-up Meathead's Memphis Dust and simplicity. I did cook them a bit long and they were actually TOO tender... one rack came apart trying to get it off the smoker, lol. Of course, no one else complained, but it made it really tough trying to cut that into individual ribs when there is a decent crust/bark - makes it almost squish apart between the bones when you're cutting. <sigh> Oh well... half hour to an hour or so less next time, they'll be perfect.

Latest posts

Top Bottom