Cooking/Food thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yeti695

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
We got a 1/2 side of beef late last year and ended up with way more cubed steaks than I recall from years past. Looking for new recipes for using tenderized cube steaks. What'ya got? Too tired to Google!

Here's what we generally do:
Chicken fry(of course) - seasoned flour dredge, then egg wash, back in flour and fry until golden brown. Remove steaks, add a roux and make gravy. I've never had much luck with a breading of sorts without it either sticking to the pan or falling off after letting it rest a couple minutes before serving.

Swiss steak - slight twist on this classic tomato basted dish. Cube steak, seasoned flour dredge, fry in a small amount of oil until about half way done. Sautee thinly sliced onions with minced garlic in olive oil. Add a quart of canned chipotle tomatoes(home made), simmer 15-20 mins. Pour 1/3 of tomatoes and onions on bottom of casserole dish. Add steaks. Cover with remainder of tomatoes/onions. Foil over top and bake on 350 about 45 mins - hour.

Thanks!
https://www.melissassouthernstylekitchen.com/smothered-philly-cheese-cubed-steak/
We get cube steak from my brother in law, usually make steak fingers. I have had the same question before. Here is one I want to try. I looked up
Unique cube steak recipes.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We got a 1/2 side of beef late last year and ended up with way more cubed steaks than I recall from years past. Looking for new recipes for using tenderized cube steaks. What'ya got? Too tired to Google!

Chicken fry(of course) - seasoned flour dredge, then egg wash, back in flour and fry until golden brown. Remove steaks, add a roux and make gravy. I've never had much luck with a breading of sorts without it either sticking to the pan or falling off after letting it rest a couple minutes before serving.

Swiss steak - slight twist on this classic tomato basted dish. Cube steak, seasoned flour dredge, fry in a small amount of oil until about half way done. Sautee thinly sliced onions with minced garlic in olive oil. Add a quart of canned chipotle tomatoes(home made), simmer 15-20 mins. Pour 1/3 of tomatoes and onions on bottom of casserole dish. Add steaks. Cover with remainder of tomatoes/onions. Foil over top and bake on 350 about 45 mins - hour.

Thanks!
Salisbury steaks can be made with cubed steaks. Lightly flour, brown, cover with mushroom or onion gravy.

I usually use ground venison but beef works as well. I also cheat on the gravy since I can not make good homemade. I take a packet of Pioneer brown gravy mix, prepared, top my steaks with onion and mushrooms. Pour the gravy over all and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes. Serve over rice.

Yeti695

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Ribs done. Ready to eat.

Attachments

• Resized952022032995174820.jpg
    Resized952022032995174820.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 22

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Thanks!
Add 1 teaspoon of baking powder to your chicken fry breading. It will help the breading stick to the meat.
That amount can be adjusted if your cooking more chicken fry.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Salisbury steaks can be made with cubed steaks. Lightly flour, brown, cover with mushroom or onion gravy.

I usually use ground venison but beef works as well. I also cheat on the gravy since I can not make good homemade. I take a packet of Pioneer brown gravy mix, prepared, top my steaks with onion and mushrooms. Pour the gravy over all and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes. Serve over rice.
Sweetie used to fry hamburger patties in bacon grease, then smother 'em in cream of mushroom soup.

Good eatin', especially when we had our own beef in the freezer. :thumb:
___

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sweetie used to fry hamburger patties in bacon grease, then smother 'em in cream of mushroom soup.

Good eatin', especially when we had our own beef in the freezer. :thumb:
___

Should try Golden Mushroom soup instead of the cream --- takes it to a whole different level!!

:thumbup3:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Should try Golden Mushroom soup instead of the cream --- takes it to a whole different level!!

:thumbup3:
That’s the soup I use along with extra sliced mushrooms, sliced bell pepper and onion as garnish. 1 can of golden mushroom soup to 1/2 can of beef consume’ blended with a whisk.
Ground wild game is mixed with finely diced yellow onion, bell pepper and jalapeños with salt, pepper and fresh crushed garlic. Final ingredient is a 1/8 cup of minute rice uncooked mixed into the ground meat. The rice will soften in the cooking process.

Form into oblong Pattie’s, roll in flour and brown in bacon grease. Put Pattie’s in a greased baking dish with the golden mushroom soup, bell pepper mushroom and onion. Bake at 375 until bubbling, remove and sprinkle white cheese of your liking on top to melt.
Let rest for 10 minutes and eat
It doesn’t get much better than that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom