Dog attack

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spamby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a dog lover I'm sorry for your loss. I hope your wife will be ok. I recommend going to your next city counsel meeting and seeing if you can't complain there about viscous dogs running loose. Thats if you get no help threw the animal control officer.

My wife wonders why I carry my ccw on our dog walks in our neigborhood. She doesn't understand if a dog gets loose it can do great damage to our pets who are well behaved and on leash. I know we have pitts in our neighborhood, because one came down the street and right into my front yard and pee'd on where my dogs pee when I let them go out front with me. I yelled at it and it left in a hurry. But if it was agressive or attempted to attack me I would have used my ccw on it. I am a dog lover but have no love for owners who do not controll their pets or viscous dogs.

Again I hope your buddy makes it and your wife is ok. I am so sorry for your loss.

grizzly97

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your loss. That really sucks.

I don't like pits either. It's funny - maybe it's the media? - that you never hear (or very rarely it seems) about a german shepard or other large breed being loose and attacking someone?

Not that it doesn't happen (see ShadowRider's post above)

I think (this is just my opinion) the reason for not hearing much about the other breeds is because of the power behind a pit's bite. They are incredibly strong, and so they probably do more damage. I remember reading a study once that stated a pit has the second friendliest daminer (sp?), and the friendliest was a golden retriever. I'll see if I can find it.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
According to the animal control investigator, the only way the dog will be put down is if the owner turns it over to him voluntarily. Owner will be allowed to keep the dog, but will face multiple $$ tickets if he does. My guess is he will not keep the dog because of the money. There is another female Pit in the same yard. Neither had shots, neither were spayed or neutered. Multiple violations, multiple tickets. That's it...besides whatever the judge decides to do.

Then it's up to us and us alone to seek civil restitution. All the city will do apparently is code enforcement.

I don't want to go into the good and bad of Pits. That serves no purpose. But my opinion remains the same.

carleb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Really sorry to hear that! That type of thing can really be a traumatic experience for someone that does not see death much. Or anybody really.

I just gotta say: This is exactly the reason I don't own a dog anymore. I love dogs, but I'm more of a large dog guy and I just won't put myself open to that liability!

Any animal is unpredictable, it's just a matter of degree.

I do own 2 horses and anyone that knows horses is aware of the hazards with them and there are plenty.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't want to go into the good and bad of Pits. That serves no purpose. But my opinion remains the same.

I'm sorry to hear about it; as a dog person it makes me sad for you guys. And I agree that going into another mind-numbing "Pits are good/Pits are bad" debate is sensless. I'd put the SOB down my way if the owner didn't get rid of it or have it put down himself. Don't care how popular that view is here or anywhere else.

Sorry for you to lose a good friend - and your wife to lose the dog and have to experience that.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your loss. That really sucks.

I don't like pits either. It's funny - maybe it's the media? - that you never hear (or very rarely it seems) about a german shepard or other large breed being loose and attacking someone?

Not that it doesn't happen (see ShadowRider's post above)

I think (this is just my opinion) the reason for not hearing much about the other breeds is because of the power behind a pit's bite. They are incredibly strong, and so they probably do more damage. I remember reading a study once that stated a pit has the second friendliest daminer (sp?), and the friendliest was a golden retriever. I'll see if I can find it.

It's also been known in some cases that the media has changed the breed of a dog in the story (from a dalmation, chow, cocker spaniel, etc) to a pit bull because it gets more attention that way. Good for media, bad for the breed.

What people also don't hear about are all the good thing pit bulls are used for. Therapy, search and rescue, physical assistance, and despite the media's best efforts, loyal and loving family companions. Pit bulls are the equivalent to guns in the media's eye.

Back on track, I give my best wishes to the OP, his wife, any kids you two may have, the recovering pup, and getting out of this situation with the best results possible.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Kopet sorry for your loss, but coming from a "pit" owner..... it's the owner..... not the breed. A number of large breeds can and will be aggressive if mistreated or raised improperly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom