Dwight D. Eisenhower on the consequences of war

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Off-topic, but revisiting Ike speeches made me think of something. Notice how decades ago, when presidents addressed the public they sounded like they were speaking to adults, about "grown-up" things? Not just Ike, but many presidents/politicians of from that era or earlier.

Compare that to today, and every presidential speech has sounded the same for years - like they are speaking to children. "America is great; I'm great; the party I represent is great. You guys are great for supporting me. I want to have the opportunity to do more great things for you, because we're all so damn great."

There are no great ideas coming from presidents - nothing remotely intellectual, thought-provoking or even meaningful. Certainly nothing contentious or ballsy. Simple language and simple, innocuous, vapid, feel-good fluff. If you ran an Ike speech on TV today I doubt most people would even be able to follow it well enough to begin to comprehend it. We got dumb, kids.

Excellent observation.
But the pigs have to speak in such a way that the sheep will understand. <---obvious Animal Farm reference.

Latest posts

Top Bottom