Empty store shelves

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Was getting my scripts at walmart but my sons adhd meds doubled in price for no reason. They cant explain it. I'll move my prescriptions

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What is fish sauce?

Very basically put.....if you took a big empty 55 gal. or larger clay pot and starting at the bottom began filling it with a layer of fish (squid or anchovies are also used), then a layer of salt and a little water, then another layer of fish, then another layer of salt and a little water and you did this all the way to the top and then tightly sealed it and let it ferment for 'X' period the liquid in the bottom of the clay pot created by the fermentation is fish sauce.........think of it as a salty, strong smelling and surprisingly not too fishy tasting liquid that is used in cooking certain dishes and as a dipping sauce for things like egg rolls.

How to Use Fish Sauce

Our preferred brand is the second from the right (Squid) and with my bride of 47+ years being Asian we've always got two or more bottles on hand.........I started eating it on my first trip to VN back in early 69' and have been eating it ever since.

fish sauce.jpg

Last edited:

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very basically put.....if you took a big empty 55 gal. or larger clay pot and starting at the bottom began filling it with a layer of fish (squid or anchovies are also used), then a layer of salt and a little water, then another layer of fish, then another layer of salt and a little water and you did this all the way to the top and then tightly sealed it and let it ferment for 'X' period the liquid in the bottom of the clay pot created by the fermentation is fish sauce.........think of it as a salty, strong smelling and surprisingly not too fishy tasting liquid that is used in cooking certain dishes and as a dipping sauce for things like egg rolls.

How to Use Fish Sauce

Our preferred brand is the second from the right (Squid) and with my bride of 47+ years being Asian we've always got two or more bottles on hand.........I started eating it on my first trip to VN and have been eating it ever since.

View attachment 251427
Thanks, I am going to try it. So do you use fish sauce instead of salt?

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks, I am going to try it. So do you use fish sauce instead of salt?

Not normally, it's pretty salty and a little bit goes a long way........when you get some just dip your finger in it and taste it and that will give you an idea of how salty it is and it's unique flavor.

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
What is fish sauce?
fermented fish liquid. might not sound all that great, but it's incredible in just about any sauce and a VITAL ingredient to almost any asian dish. i use it for sauces, stir fry, jerky marinades, all sorts of stuff. very pungent, but the flavor is incredible. there is no substitute. if you buy the american brands in the asian aisle at your average market, you'll pay .50c per oz, easily 10$ or more for a 24 oz bottle. but at cao nguyen you can buy liter bottles for like $3.

Attachments

• fish sauce(mae anong).png
    fish sauce(mae anong).png
    61.4 KB · Views: 18

Latest posts

Top Bottom