For all you folks like me ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Electrician Mike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is a reason that I live where I live and the rest of my family lives on the other side of the state. And I cant convince my wife just yet that moving to Costa Rica is a good idea, they still find me from time to time.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rick, BS! The preacher should have declined to speak rather than humilate the family.

I disagree. (what else is new :D)

Sometimes the truth has to be spoken no matter who it hurts and as I said, the family may have agreed with the preacher.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rick, don't you have any compassion at all? Seriously, what gives some sanctimonious scumbag the right to traumatize a family during an already emotionally difficult time? In all due respect, I am really glad I am not around people like you in my "real" life.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe because I have been to a couple of funerals for really bad people and when the preacher tried to say nice things about them you could hear the family and everyone else muttering bullsh$t, and in one case see the wife and daughter jump on the preacher for saying nice things about the man that abused them for years.

When I die I would rather the preacher tell the truth instead of lie.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe because I have been to a couple of funerals for really bad people and when the preacher tried to say nice things about them you could hear the family and everyone else muttering bullsh$t, and in one case see the wife and daughter jump on the preacher for saying nice things about the man that abused them for years.

When I die I would rather the preacher tell the truth instead of lie.

In those types of situations, why would the abused wife and daughter show up at the funeral?

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have to agree with you, sir. But, in my little part time job, being retired from the real world for eleven years, makes me wonder many times and I really shouldn't judge people from what I see on those two days a week, but I really worry about a LOT of things. I think you may grasp what I speak of.

You do work on the two worst days out of the week to be working.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In those types of situations, why would the abused wife and daughter show up at the funeral?

Because the rest of the family expected them to be there and I feel to see the sorry sob put in the ground. It happens more often then you might think and I would be willing to bet most of the LEOs on this board could tell stories of families that would be comforted by hearing a family member was going to hell.

Look JB, I know you are a compassionate guy but there are some cases where it is just not called for the preacher to lie. The family feels better knowing the person being buried is out of their lives and can never hurt them again.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rick, what gets me about the situation is this...the hypocrisy! I have family members to whose funerals I won't go when they die, and I'll be damned if someone can presure me to go. And my dislike does not stem from any kind of abuse, so I can only imagine how strong the feelings of people are towards a family member that beat or molested them.

But again, why be a hypocrite? Just free yourself from the situation and cut them off. After all, you wouldn't take crap from strangers, why would you take it from the very people who are supposed to be there for you?

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
JB if you can figure out why people do some of the things they do, you have solved the greatest mystery of life. I know when I was younger I would do things I did not agree with because my family thought I should but I never understood why I went along. Now I am old enough not to care what people think of me and will do what I think is right.

And yes when I die an honest preacher will say, "Here lies one opinionated SOB"

jfssms

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rick, don't you have any compassion at all? Seriously, what gives some sanctimonious scumbag the right to traumatize a family during an already emotionally difficult time? In all due respect, I am really glad I am not around people like you in my "real" life.

OMG, I'll scream from any given mountain top, what a load of poop this statement is.

Latest posts

Top Bottom