Garage door maintenance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My garage door has always been noisy as can be, but lately it seems even worse. The opener seems to be struggling a bit with it too. I disconnected the opener from the door and I can move it up/down by hand, so the spring seems fine. Should I lubricate it somewhere? With what? WD-40 or something? Where? Any tips of making it run smoother?

Harp13

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I recently replaced the rollers and that made a significant difference both garage doors at my house.

1658166382413.png

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They have the rollers now that have nylon( or something like that) rollers instead of the steel rollers. They can make a big difference in the way the garage door sounds & operates.

Edit: Just like what Harp posted. I didn't look at the link before I made my post.

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks guys; I will check those out.

Silicone spray is fine on the spring? I try to stay away from the that thing!

How long should those nylon rollers last?

Last edited:

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
They have the rollers now that have nylon( or something like that) rollers instead of the steel rollers. They can make a big difference in the way the garage door sounds & operates.

Edit: Just like what Harp posted. I didn't look at the link before I made my post.
They have sealed bearing in them too. I replaced mine when I had a spring break.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes silicone is fine on the springs. Clean the dust off of them first.
I bought Nylon/bearing rollers all new from Home depot.
My garage door is the original 16 foot wide wooden door from 1974 and those Home depot rollers lasted less than a week.

I had old rollers I pulled from other doors I have replaced and put those on and many years later they are fine.

Maybe I got a crummy batch.

Latest posts

Top Bottom