Garden 2017

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Picked 6 cantaloupe today making 15 total so far. Summer Snack Hybrid variety is doing great. No Hales Best yet they got put in 32 days later.
love Cantaloupe. Didn't plant any though. My garden got in late. the yellow squash is doing great, and have three spaghetti squash getting yellow. Lots of little bell peppers and tomatoes. Only have 4 tomato's right now. Lots of green ones though.
Cucumbers will be exploding shortly. Lots of blooms and tiny cucumbers.

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Picked 6 cantaloupe today making 15 total so far. Summer Snack Hybrid variety is doing great. No Hales Best yet they got put in 32 days later.

Just picked the last of the cantaloupe last week. Harvested about a dozen from each of the two Hale's Best that I planted just to fill an empty spot in the garden. I was kind of disappointed in the taste, but I'm not a big cantaloupe eater.

Also just picked the last of the butternut squash and removed the vines. Removing the vines may have been a mistake, because I found a crap load of squash bugs in the dirt around the base of the trellis. Hopefully they don't migrate over to my zucchini.

Everything else is doing great, and now I'm trying to decide what to plant for a fall garden. Any suggestions?

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Everything else is doing great, and now I'm trying to decide what to plant for a fall garden. Any suggestions?
I'm fixing to plant a few rows of late season green snap beans as soon as my inoculant gets here. Going to throw out some lettuce seed, and I want to try turnips. Have never tried a turnip in my life..

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm fixing to plant a few rows of late season green snap beans as soon as my inoculant gets here. Going to throw out some lettuce seed, and I want to try turnips. Have never tried a turnip in my life..

My Fortex pole beans got a little puny the last few weeks when it was around 100, but they're still producing and should take off again with the cooler weather in the forecast. I may have to try turnips as well...if nothing else, the goats would enjoy them.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I may have to try turnips as well...if nothing else, the goats would enjoy them.
I like to try things I've never grown before, I ran across this this recipe for turnips, if Pioneer woman can't make them appetizing, then nobody can.

I read that Turnips have a skin/rind that most folks aren't aware of, and if you peel off the outside 3/8" or so, it takes the bitter part of the turnip with it.

I tried pickling radishes this Spring on an internet whim. DON'T. They taste like a pickle that's been rolled in the dirt.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just picked the last of the cantaloupe last week. Harvested about a dozen from each of the two Hale's Best that I planted just to fill an empty spot in the garden. I was kind of disappointed in the taste, but I'm not a big cantaloupe eater.

20170804_200504.jpg
I have tried Sierra Gold, Hale's Best and Summer Snack Hybrid cantaloupe. Both SG and HB were pretty good. The farther into the season they seem to have more less flavorful (not very sweet) melons. So far these Summer Snack Hybrids have been very sweet one after another. Picked 19 yesterday with 37 total from 4 plants. One thing I really like about these Summer Snacks is when I press on the stem to check ripeness and its not giving as much as I like and pick it anyway so the critters wont check it for me they are still sweet.

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 104644 I have tried Sierra Gold, Hale's Best and Summer Snack Hybrid cantaloupe. Both SG and HB were pretty good. The farther into the season they seem to have more less flavorful (not very sweet) melons. So far these Summer Snack Hybrids have been very sweet one after another. Picked 19 yesterday with 37 total from 4 plants. One thing I really like about these Summer Snacks is when I press on the stem to check ripeness and its not giving as much as I like and pick it anyway so the critters wont check it for me they are still sweet.

I'll have to try those summer snack next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Corn part Deux is coming along nicely, planted on July 11.

i.imgur.com_GZ4u8Le.jpg

Picked up one of these stirrup hoes after watching my uncle use one for years. Man, it is Skookum, should have got one years ago.

Cuts down in the soil about a half an inch, cutting weed roots. Can run it right up to the stalks without messing up much if you're careful. Used a hoe for years and would occasional tear up a root or cut a plant. Works great getting between the plants and grabbing the little buggers that grow along my water line. Check one out.

ace.imageg.net_graphics_product_images_pACE_1039635dt.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom