Garden 2017

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Done with sweet corn, just have to bag it and freeze it.

It was weed free when I started..

i.imgur.com_MikKsLb.jpg

12'x12' Trial patch.

i.imgur.com_ZJCfO82.jpg

Blanching.

i.imgur.com_1o2bitJ.jpg

Cooling.

i.imgur.com_qaNMu0u.jpg

Drying. About 2/3 of it, when I stopped for lunch.

i.imgur.com_d4FZsgr.jpg

Honey and Pearls (sh2)

i.imgur.com_sEdF7d6.jpg

Very impressive! Once the silks turn completely brown, how long did you wait to pick?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very impressive! Once the silks turn completely brown, how long did you wait to pick?
I really don't know exactly, I wasn't keeping track, but somewhere between 21-28 days. I was however counting the "days till harvest" which was stated to be 78 days, which just happened to be today. I picked a few over the weekend and did the thumbnail test on the kernels, all of them showed to be in the milk stage and I've been told that's when it's ready to pick. Cooked those up and ate them and they seemed ripe to me.

A few ears on the South side of the patch were late bloomers, they were still in the clear stage, they probably could have stayed another week, but I had the time/equipment/involuntary volunteers to do it today, so it all got picked.

I feel I was pretty lucky. Lots of the ears had earworms, but they really didn't eat much. The kernels at the tip usually aren't that developed anyway so earworm loss was minimal. I got rid of 3 raccoons earlier in the year, I was expecting every morning to find the patch ravaged by hungry coons, but they either didn't find it or I got rid of all of them for now. Going to try a 2nd crop to see if I can make enough dent corn to make a batch of fresh tortillas, always wanted to try that..

That corn looks great! Your set for the year.
With the ears I ate along the way, the few I tossed due to worm/bird loss, I had roughly 28 serving bags, consisting of 4 ears, or a bunch of half ears. Something along the lines of 115-120 ears total. I was expecting and would have been happy with 75-80..

Last edited:

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Done with sweet corn, just have to bag it and freeze it.

It was weed free when I started..

i.imgur.com_MikKsLb.jpg

12'x12' Trial patch.

i.imgur.com_ZJCfO82.jpg

Blanching.

i.imgur.com_1o2bitJ.jpg

Cooling.

i.imgur.com_qaNMu0u.jpg

Drying. About 2/3 of it, when I stopped for lunch.

i.imgur.com_d4FZsgr.jpg

Honey and Pearls (sh2)

i.imgur.com_sEdF7d6.jpg

Damn it. I've got to move to somewhere with more space - the 1/3 acre in a neighborhood is just not cutting it. Good looking corn.

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Took some pics this morning. Everything seems to be doing pretty good. The beans have just started really producing, despite last weekend's storm blowing over the whole trellis. Okra is almost 4' tall and producing well. For a first year garden, I'm pretty happy.

IMG_0172.JPG IMG_0168.JPG IMG_0160.JPG

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Our above ground garden, has been mostly a disappointment. We have a few tomatoes and peppers but the yield has been less than impressive.
Not enough minerals in the soil. Used crap bagged garden soil from HD, but mixed Nitrogen, phosphorus and Potassium but not enough. Will be adding homemade compost this winter.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Took some pics this morning. Everything seems to be doing pretty good. The beans have just started really producing, despite last weekend's storm blowing over the whole trellis. Okra is almost 4' tall and producing well. For a first year garden, I'm pretty happy.

View attachment 103404 View attachment 103405 View attachment 103406
In that third pic, is that a Hoss Tools wheel hoe I see? If so, how do you like it? I bought mine primarily for the seeder, and haven't put much use into the other implements.

So nice and tidy, no weeds. I hate your guts.!
See my question; if the device is what I think it is, I expect he'll tell you how to get similar results.

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In that third pic, is that a Hoss Tools wheel hoe I see? If so, how do you like it? I bought mine primarily for the seeder, and haven't put much use into the other implements.

See my question; if the device is what I think it is, I expect he'll tell you how to get similar results.

That is a Hoss wheel hoe, and it's the best money I've spent in a while. I haven't had the tiller out of the shed in a couple of months. With the wheel hoe I can weed the whole garden in an hour or so, and it only needs it about once a week. Beats the heck out of fighting with a cultivator or tiller, and it's good exercise. Highly recommended!

Latest posts

Top Bottom