Garden 2017

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm down to just one squash plant, and planted two more short rows. Hopefully I'll get something out of them in a few months. Found my first cantaloupe yesterday, and a few hours later the vine died. Vine bores are the devil.

Otherwise the garden is doing well. Getting some okra, beans, tomatoes, eggplant and bell peppers, and the rest is looking good.

Learning a lot this year, including don't be surprised when your determinate tomato plants up and die.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maters are doing pretty good, Got a few cucumbers, Cantaloupe coming along OK, Watermelon little slow, Peppers little slow too. Tried a Carmen Italian Pepper this year and it is doing great.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My acre of sunflowers are doing great, had a little trouble getting them planted due to all the rain making mud but finally got a break it dried out enough to be able to get the tractor on it. They are about a foot tall and growing, now could use some of that rain I was cussing about a month ago.

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My acre of sunflowers are doing great, had a little trouble getting them planted due to all the rain making mud but finally got a break it dried out enough to be able to get the tractor on it. They are about a foot tall and growing, now could use some of that rain I was cussing about a month ago.

Yeah some of that rain would be welcome now, although we did get 0.5" yesterday.

All my squash and zucchini are dead, except for the butternut. I've planted several more so hopefully I'll have some on the table by August.

I was worried about the pole beans but looks like the vines are just now maturing to the point of retaining the blooms long enough to produce. If the wind doesn't knock the trellis down I'll be knee deep in beans in a week or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This was my first experience in plowing a field, preparing it for a crop and planting anything. Was first going to do corn but discovered corn is actually fairly hard to grow. You really have to keep the weeds down and critters like to eat the young plants. Decided to go with sunflowers, corn was looking like it would take allot more work than I wanted to invest in a throw away crop.

Sunflowers1.jpg

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We planted some okra, squash, tomatoes and bell peppers. My dang dog decided to eat the tomato plant and the bell pepper plant. And they were both producing. She never touched it before and then out of the blue decided to eat it. Gonna put a small fence around it and replant. Next season gonna plant some corn and maybe some watermelon and pumpkins. My wife would also like to plant grapes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom