Garden 2017

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I put a bunch of chicken scat and chicken compost on our garden this year and it has went NUTS!!! I've never had 'maters grow this fast or look this good before. The weeds are also growing fast too. *Mumbling*..people with perfectly manicured gardens and lawns sicken me. I can't find the time!
Chicken scat? Like Ella Fitzgerald or less jazzy, like roger miller?

fubarjohnnyr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We planted some okra, squash, tomatoes and bell peppers. My dang dog decided to eat the tomato plant and the bell pepper plant. And they were both producing. She never touched it before and then out of the blue decided to eat it. Gonna put a small fence around it and replant. Next season gonna plant some corn and maybe some watermelon and pumpkins. My wife would also like to plant grapes.

My garden spot is fenced off from our dog, but if a cucumber is hanging on the inside of the fence it gets munched pretty quick. A black lab that wont swim in water but will hunt a cucumber, go figure!

Foghorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anybody ever try using Bacillus thuringiensis to control caterpillars on corn, tomatoes, etc.?
I've always used mineral oil on my corn.. if you haven't plant a ton of the stuff it's quick, cheap and easy...
At the first sign of silk, brush or spray mineral oil the silk. The moths won't lay their eggs on it.

Grandpa always used to do this and he planted way more corn than I do. I've been using the same gallon bottle for two years. Think it cost me twenty bucks..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got maters for salsa
20170703_175654.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't use a trellis for pole beans. Go to the farm store and buy an 18' X5' or longer hog panel. Put a Tpost in the ground, lay the panel flat in front of it. Go to the far end, pick up and push. Create an arbor about 6' high in the center. Drive in another Tpost and you have the perfect way to grow pole beans and cucumbers. Anything that vines. Walk in under the arbor to pick the beans. They will be hanging like fruit on a tree. The panels will last forever. (Until you leave them in the grass and run over it with the tractor and 3point mower)
I painted mine green to blend in. The 6" openings make for easy picking.

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't use a trellis for pole beans. Go to the farm store and buy an 18' X5' or longer hog panel. Put a Tpost in the ground, lay the panel flat in front of it. Go to the far end, pick up and push. Create an arbor about 6' high in the center. Drive in another Tpost and you have the perfect way to grow pole beans and cucumbers. Anything that vines. Walk in under the arbor to pick the beans. They will be hanging like fruit on a tree. The panels will last forever. (Until you leave them in the grass and run over it with the tractor and 3point mower)
I painted mine green to blend in. The 6" openings make for easy picking.

I ended up doing this for my butternut squash, and it worked well. I may try it next year with the pole beans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've always used mineral oil on my corn.. if you haven't plant a ton of the stuff it's quick, cheap and easy...
At the first sign of silk, brush or spray mineral oil the silk. The moths won't lay their eggs on it.

Grandpa always used to do this and he planted way more corn than I do. I've been using the same gallon bottle for two years. Think it cost me twenty bucks..
I've tried that with mixed results, but I probably wasn't getting the oil in place early enough. Still had earworms on about 50% of the ears this year. Just trim off the end, I don't really end up losing much anyway.

Latest posts

Top Bottom