Getting healthy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's cleaning out your system! The all oats one give me gas too. I like the brand flakes with blueberry the best. My snacks consist of yogurt, almonds, beef jerky, kashi granola bars, wheat thins reduced fat crackers with cheese, and a lot of fruit.

I like oatmeal in the morning as well, all of the oat products turn me into a methane machine. Great snacks, I also like Clif bars.

SgtMojo67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am joining the rest of you......I quit smoking...it will be 2 years ago June 10th (Cold Turkey...woot) but have only exercised off and on over the past couple of years.....My wife and I started the Insanity program and it is kicking my rear! Only did day 2 today.....I need to do better at keeping in shape in my profession....

HiImSeth

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am joining the rest of you......I quit smoking...it will be 2 years ago June 10th (Cold Turkey...woot) but have only exercised off and on over the past couple of years.....My wife and I started the Insanity program and it is kicking my rear! Only did day 2 today.....I need to do better at keeping in shape in my profession....

Sweet. Good call. Insanity will straight up kick your rear for sure. I loved it. Keep at it and you will be in some excellent shape soon.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since we can't get a Health and Fitness forum maybe we should use this thread....

Did everyone work out today?

I flew to Dallas and back today, got home, really sore from doing P90X Chest and Back yesterday, next in the rotation was Plyometrics, I wanted more cardio so I did Insanity Pure Cardio instead....38 minutes, max HR 152, AVG HR 125, in the zone for 34 minutes....not bad for an old fart...

I ran Sunday and Monday took a break yesterday but feel great this morning so Will run again tonight. Running with my wife Monday I set a new personal best for 2.5 miles with warm up and cool down average 13:40 per mile pace.

For the tech geeks out there I have a couple of apps I really like runkeeper is one, it handles interval timing and mapping, sports tracker is another it has graphing and a heart rate monitor if you use a blue tooth chest strap pulse monitor. Haven't found a good audible HRM to track my target jones while running outside yet. I use sports tracker on the treadmill to stay in the target zone.

VitruvianDoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am hopping on board...

Sitting around and studying for medical school has come with an unexpected burden of 20 lbs since august....

Needless to say, I'll be doing p90x and tossing in a jog every morning. I did p90x last summer and had good results, but at that time it was for minimal weight loss and more over strength training and toning....

I have to lose this 20 lbs by 7/25 because wife and I booked a trip to cancun and gotta get rid of the love handles...

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Eating cereal as I type. Check into the kashi brand. No sugar and is very good for you. They have a pretty good variety.

We shop at whole foods now, they have a great bulk cereal section for granola, oats and mueslix with dried fruit. The wife and I have our mixed in with a serving of light yogurt. My son throws a spoonful of splenda over his with milk.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anybody have any success to report? It has been about a month since I got started and I've dropped a touch more than 15 pounds. It's coming off faster than I expected but I'm betting a plateau is coming soon and I'm not getting too excited because I still have a long way to go. I have to stay focused and make these "life changes" not just a temporary thing.

Twmaster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I need to get into way better shape. I've always been a big guy, 6'5" ~350#. My joints hurt and I get winded easily. Things seem to have gotten worse since I hit 40. I'll be 47 in two weeks...

I'd like to stay around and annoy as many people as I can before I kick the bucket...

I've got arthritis in most of my joints so walking is about all I'm going to be able to get away with. At least for now.

Thanks for all of you posting in this thread. It's a little bit of a nudge I need to get started.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anybody have any success to report? It has been about a month since I got started and I've dropped a touch more than 15 pounds. It's coming off faster than I expected but I'm betting a plateau is coming soon and I'm not getting too excited because I still have a long way to go. I have to stay focused and make these "life changes" not just a temporary thing.

I was just under 182 and had a trip to Nashville for work, there is nothing around the Gaylord Opryland resort(mall is still closed from flood damage) so you're pretty much stuck eating at the hotel if you don't have a car. I put 2 pounds on that week and it has taken me a full week to get back down to where I was( I also ran 3 nights at the hotel gym that week, that ought to tell you how bad "fine dining" is). I seem to be able to drop 1.5 to 2 lbs a week consistently as long as I don't cheat on my diet.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was just under 182 and had a trip to Nashville for work, there is nothing around the Gaylord Opryland resort(mall is still closed from flood damage) so you're pretty much stuck eating at the hotel if you don't have a car. I put 2 pounds on that week and it has taken me a full week to get back down to where I was( I also ran 3 nights at the hotel gym that week, that ought to tell you how bad "fine dining" is). I seem to be able to drop 1.5 to 2 lbs a week consistently as long as I don't cheat on my diet.

A lot of docs discourage losing it any faster than that anyway, so that's a good pace. I'm looking forward to the getting back down into the 220s, haven't been there since the late 90's.

Latest posts

Top Bottom