Getting rid of blackberry bushes.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My grandmother had a piece of sheet metal under her faucet in the front yard.
I asked her if she wanted me to remove it and she said NO it's killing that mulberry tree that wants to grow there.

Ok so I had a mulberry I tried to kill off. Cot to the ground poured boiling salt water on it and even diesel fuel and drilled holes through it and set it on fire.

It came back every year.
Until I put some shingles over it to kill the sunlight.
That was easy.
Kill the sunlight after you mow them down.
If you put down enough sheet metal I would think mice would get under it and eat all the leftover seeds.

Maybe.
I have killed many plants by eliminating the sunlight to them.
Normally, all I have to do to kill a plant is touch it. But that only works on plants I WANT to grow. Grandma had a green thumb. I didn't get that gene. If I had 10 acres, with an acre or two *up to 8* in blackberries, I'd be in hog heaven!

That said, cut off the light, the plants die. Whatever kind of plant they are! Might be tough and expensive to do more than a few square yards...

Got a couple of mulberry trees I need to kill in my postage stamp yard, and I'm glad I read this thread, as I had NOT tried the cutting off the light thing on my mulberry trees. I love mulberries, but none of the trees are in a good location. So I need to cut down and kill them, and plant anew elsewhere... And maybe some blackberry vines on the back fence would keep it from falling down for the rest of my life... ;)

Good luck!

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
We sprayed them with Grazon and then stacked tree limbs on them and burned them. They have not tried to regrow. It’s been about 6-7 years.

Some clearly have not had the same luck with weed killer and fire, but it worked like a champ for me.
Grazon is good and will generally knock them out with a couple of applications. March through May iirc.

Treemansam

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to have blackberries but you can’t have goats and sheep and blackberries. The animals always win.

As far as Grazon and other chemical herbicides, once you understand the chemistry you realize how terrible they are for the future generations.

It would be better to hand down lane covered in blackberries than land that has been loaded with hazardous chemicals that can lay dormant for decades.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
I used to have blackberries but you can’t have goats and sheep and blackberries. The animals always win.

As far as Grazon and other chemical herbicides, once you understand the chemistry you realize how terrible they are for the future generations.

It would be better to hand down lane covered in blackberries than land that has been loaded with hazardous chemicals that can lay dormant for decades.
Post up proof of your claims then.

Treemansam

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Post up proof of your claims then.
Definitely will. But first two questions to save us all a lot of time.
1. Name one time when you changed your mind on something that you were wrong about that changed how you live your life?
2. Are you willing to read the info and then if you’re wrong change the way you live?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
Definitely will. But first two questions to save us all a lot of time.
1. Name one time when you changed your mind on something that you were wrong about that changed how you live your life?
2. Are you willing to read the info and then if you’re wrong change the way you live?
Numerous times, I'm not too proud to learn something new or admit when I'm wrong. I've been down this herbicide conversation road many many times over the years. I spend several months of the year spraying crop land.

Latest posts

Top Bottom