Going to Chicago, any suggestions or tips?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lots of great advice so far. The transit pass is a great value. City Pass is also a great value for admission to multiple attractions like the Shedd Aquarium, Field Museum, Science and Industry, art museum, Sears Tower, etc. I never had any bad meal in Chicago and missed the opportunity to go to Chinatown and Greektown. The museums deserve a day each, BTW.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
The food alone is worth the trip, we've been several times and to several Cub's games. Public transportation or walk is the only way to go. Would never live there, but love to visit for the food.

If you're a steak guy, you must go to David Burke's Primehouse............incredible.

Girl & The Goat and the Bohemian House are good and a little different. Any of the food we've eaten in the China area has been good.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
It's been almost twenty years but...great food and great blues just about everywhere we went.

I had one of my favorite meals of all time at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse there and the best Italian at a two story restaurant down town, I don't recall the name.

Went to a lot of blues bars including Buddy Guy's place. Cubs game got rained out in the seventh, so we walked over to a tiny old bar near the ballpark and enjoyed the rest of the afternoon enjoying drinks and listening to the bartender's stories.

Stayed at the Palmer House Hilton and walked most everywhere and always felt safe. I was surprised how clean it was.

At that time the aquarium was nice and the old navy pier on the lake was cool.

I went twice in the same year on business, and wouldn't mind going back.

Mos Eisley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's been 15 years since I lived there but there's a German restaurant called The Bavarian Lodge in Lisle, IL. Hands down THE best Sauerbraten I've ever had. It spoiled me for every other one ever.

The last time I was on Rush St I got to meet Mike Ditka. He was just walking down the street. I wasn't going to bother him but when he walked into the same bar right behind me I couldn't resist shaking his hand. Nice guy...believe it or not.

Latest posts

Top Bottom