Got rearended yesterday!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spamby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go to the Doctor. Plus get a copy of the police report and start contacting his insurance. That way they can pay.

Oh and I hate people who text and drive. When I'm in my car or on my bike they scare the crap out of me.

kinggabby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would say yes to the doctor . This is why I get angry when I see people on their cell phone whether it be texting or talking . Either way they are not able to fully focus on their surroundings. I hope everything turns out ok. Prayers sent out .

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No, because the passenger is also aware of your surroundings and can provide feedback, whereas the person on the other end of the phone has no clue what's going on around you. It's a very different situation in that regard.

Consider that the driving public somehow survived the first 100 years of the automobile without using cell phones; why can't we do that now? It's amazing that people think they must take or make calls or text while driving... seriously, if the call or text is so important, then perhaps you should pull over and park so you can focus on that all-important bit of communication? When I first got a Blackberry years ago, I thought that was da bomb... until I realized how irresponsible it was to use the device while driving, so I started pulling over. After a while, I realized how silly that was, so I went back to what I was doing before - that is, before the Blackberry came along. Hmm, my life hasn't suffered as a result. I wouldn't care for it to suffer because someone else didn't see the validity of my perspective and insisted on using a cell phone while driving.

Dude, I'll argue this until the end of time.

How is a cell phone different than a CB radio? Every trucker in the world has used one for decades, and a truck is a lot harder to drive than a car. Every emergency service vehicle uses radio com while driving too.

Every single time I've made a mistake while driving and nearly caused a wreck it was because my passenger was talking to me and distracted/startled me. Every single time, I can remember each incident clearly. They always seem to wait for the worst time to open their stupid mouths. If you drop the phone you can't hear it anymore. You can't drop a passenger that says "HAVE YOU EVER BEEN SO FAR AS DECIDED TO LOOK MORE LIKE?" in heavy traffic. Oh, and the passenger floorboard foot stomp brakers and backseat drivers. Or the gaspers and clenchers.

I'm not saying talking on the phone does not impair your driving or distract you compared to not talking on the phone. Clearly it does. What I'm saying is that talking to a passenger is AT LEAST equally distracting, if not more so. Most passengers are not gonna give you feedback like a codriver. Most of them are in their own little world and say whatever whenever, and have no clue what's going on around the car. Unless Parnelli Jones is riding shotgun with you or something.

Now texting is obviously more distracting and dangerous than all that combined.

dcmtex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Definitely go to the doctor. Injuries from being rearended are not apparent at the time of the accident sometimes. Adrenaline or concern for the other party or whatever. I don't know why. My wife had this happen last year and has since had the neck surgery and still has pain.

The lady that hit her never looked up. She was texting. I have no issue with talking on the phone with the exception of those in the fast lane :) Texters...hangem!!!!!

kinggabby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

How is a cell phone different than a CB radio? Every trucker in the world has used one for decades, and a truck is a lot harder to drive than a car. Every emergency service vehicle uses radio com while driving too.

Every single time I've made a mistake while driving and nearly caused a wreck it was because my passenger was talking to me and distracted/startled me. Every single time, I can remember each incident clearly. They always seem to wait for the worst time to open their stupid mouths. If you drop the phone you can't hear it anymore. You can't drop a passenger that says "HAVE YOU EVER BEEN SO FAR AS DECIDED TO LOOK MORE LIKE?" in heavy traffic. Oh, and the passenger floorboard foot stomp brakers and backseat drivers. Or the gaspers and clenchers.

I'm not saying talking on the phone does not impair your driving or distract you compared to not talking on the phone. Clearly it does. What I'm saying is that talking to a passenger is AT LEAST equally distracting, if not more so. Most passengers are not gonna give you feedback like a codriver. Most of them are in their own little world and say whatever whenever, and have no clue what's going on around the car. Unless Parnelli Jones is riding shotgun with you or something.

Lucky for me the only one in my car making noise is my daughter. Hard to tell a 2 year old to shut up. My wife is getting better at not doing things that make driving hard like having her drink in the way or her leg near the shifter.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lucky for me the only one in my car making noise is my daughter. Hard to tell a 2 year old to shut up. My wife is getting better at not doing things that make driving hard like having her drink in the way or her leg near the shifter.

^^Ah, the dreaded purse/bag or drink with a ridiculously long straw blocking 4th gear. Lawl.^^

WTF WHY IS THERE A STRAW SCRATCHING MY ARM???

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
^^Ah, the dreaded purse/bag or drink with a ridiculously long straw blocking 4th gear. Lawl.^^

WTF WHY IS THERE A STRAW SCRATCHING MY ARM???

My truck has a cue ball shift knob and when we decide to take my truck out instead of the woman's car, the kiddo sits in the middle. With her in her booster seat, her knees are placed perfectly in line with my shifter. Going into fourth or reverse there's always a clunk followed by a 5 year old saying "OW!".

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go see the Dr. and call JB to begin litigation.

LOL ...

I would go. I got hit in the rear in February. Same thing. The lady was texting and said she never seen me. I felt ok at the time, but was real sore the next day. Better safe then sorry.

Definitely go to the doctor. Injuries from being rearended are not apparent at the time of the accident sometimes. Adrenaline or concern for the other party or whatever. I don't know why. My wife had this happen last year and has since had the neck surgery and still has pain.

The lady that hit her never looked up. She was texting. I have no issue with talking on the phone with the exception of those in the fast lane :) Texters...hangem!!!!!

Go to the doctor ... We were rear-ended in April of last year. I'm still receiving medical care. It was a low impact collision and no one else was injured but I feel like crap all the time. It was not apparent at the time of the accident just how much damage I had done.

Go to the doctor ... you will regret it if you don't.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
No, because the passenger is also aware of your surroundings and can provide feedback, whereas the person on the other end of the phone has no clue what's going on around you. It's a very different situation in that regard.

Consider that the driving public somehow survived the first 100 years of the automobile without using cell phones; why can't we do that now? It's amazing that people think they must take or make calls or text while driving... seriously, if the call or text is so important, then perhaps you should pull over and park so you can focus on that all-important bit of communication? When I first got a Blackberry years ago, I thought that was da bomb... until I realized how irresponsible it was to use the device while driving, so I started pulling over. After a while, I realized how silly that was, so I went back to what I was doing before - that is, before the Blackberry came along. Hmm, my life hasn't suffered as a result. I wouldn't care for it to suffer because someone else didn't see the validity of my perspective and insisted on using a cell phone while driving.

I don't rely on passengers to help me drive. I don't know about you.

If you want to talk about potential distractions, then you need to never eat in your car, listen to the radio (let along sing along, God forbid), drop your watch in the trunk as well as disable your clock, and probably even block your dash gauges and speedometer, you can just drive walking speed and you'll be safe.

Matter of fact, by listening to you, you'd think we should all go back to bicycles or just walking in general. Opening your mouth to carry on a conversation is too much work while driving... UNLESS, that is, you've got another party that can assist you.

NO THANKS!

I'm sure glad YOU don't make the rules for the rest of us! I'll continue to use my phone while driving responsibly. I may have an accident someday, but my last one was.... Hmmm... 12 years ago? Amazing how I can manage to talk on the phone A LOT while driving and still be alive.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

So truck drivers using CB for decades means it's as safe to use CB (or cell phones for that matter) while driving, than to drive without? As for emergency vehicles using radio or cell phones, that's a case of necessity vs. convenience. While it's still more distracting for the driver of an ambulance to use a radio or cell phone, the benefits may outweigh the risks to the ambulance and surrounding vehicles. At least the EV driver isn't going to be chatting or arguing with the person on the other end about some non-life-threatening topic that easily could have waited till the driver was out of his/her vehicle.

Perhaps in your experience, it's been a passenger that's caused each near-accident while you were driving; does this mean that in no case will a passenger give you more input as to your surroundings than a person on the other end of a cell phone call? As for dropping the phone so you can't hear it anymore - what caused the incident in the first place that you'd find it necessary to drop the phone? Using it while driving.

I'll always believe, unless shown factual evidence to the contrary, that a cell phone conversation while driving is insidiously more dangerous than an in-car conversation with a passenger. It's been shown in numerous studies that engaging in a cell phone conversation, whether hands-on or hands-off, causes tunnel vision and slowed response times, which aren't always recognized by the driver. Chatting with a passenger at least allows you the possibility, however small, that you'll receive input regarding changes in the immediate environment - a person on the other end of the phone just can't do that unless the driver totally ignores auditory signals that the other person can hear. If that happens, the driver has a lot more to deal with than inattention while driving (i.e., total oblivion).

At least we agree about the dangers of texting while driving. It's even more irresponsible and dangerous than talking on the phone.

Latest posts

Top Bottom