Got rearended yesterday!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Talking on a cell phone is "ridiculously more dangerous" than conversing with a passenger?

I don't even come close to believing that, man. It's a very personal issue... if you are a cautious person who pays attention while driving, then you will continue to do so with minimal reduction while conversing either live or via the airwaves... if you're a distracted idiot driver, then it'll only get worse. But you're way over the edge, if you ask me.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't rely on passengers to help me drive. I don't know about you.

If you want to talk about potential distractions, then you need to never eat in your car, listen to the radio (let along sing along, God forbid), drop your watch in the trunk as well as disable your clock, and probably even block your dash gauges and speedometer, you can just drive walking speed and you'll be safe.

Matter of fact, by listening to you, you'd think we should all go back to bicycles or just walking in general. Opening your mouth to carry on a conversation is too much work while driving... UNLESS, that is, you've got another party that can assist you.

NO THANKS!

I'm sure glad YOU don't make the rules for the rest of us! I'll continue to use my phone while driving responsibly. I may have an accident someday, but my last one was.... Hmmm... 12 years ago? Amazing how I can manage to talk on the phone A LOT while driving and still be alive.

How you reached such conclusions from what I said earlier, I don't know - so I'll just respond to the bolded part of your comments. You've been lucky so far... if you want to continue to push your luck, it's your choice. I just hope I'm not around you if your luck runs out because of a phone call.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
And I hope I'm not around while you're walking and chewing gum and trip and smash your face on the sidewalk. I might get splattered and then it'd be your fault. I'd have to call J.B. to force you to compensate me for your reckless and irresponsible behavior.

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Single seat automobiles is in our near future with call blocking technologies...lol
Taking your eyes, hands, and mind off the road is dangerous. This is a fact, whether it be cellphone,passenger,CB,cigarette, or donut...One is not worse than the other. It is the driver who is worse.

These nursing home escapees and road rookie teenages are just as bad or worse.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And I hope I'm not around while you're walking and chewing gum and trip and smash your face on the sidewalk. I might get splattered and then it'd be your fault. I'd have to call J.B. to force you to compensate me for your reckless and irresponsible behavior.

It's obvious we don't see eye-to-eye regarding the insidious nature of engaging in phone calls while driving, and further arguments of this nature won't be productive. So I'll agree to disagree, if you will.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go see the Dr. and call JB to begin litigation.

I'd agree with this, but if the Dr. sees no real injury aside from soreness, and no treatment (PT, chiro, etc...) aside from rest and something for the discomfort, it probably isn't worth it to get an attorney involved. Meaning, the settlement for your medical bills and pain/suffering is so negligible (relatively speaking) that the attorney would cut into your settlement.

If it's anything more than that though, it couldn't hurt to seek a legal consult. Most insurance companies are fair (truly), sometimes mistakes a made. A good attorney can watch out for those, and ensure you receive the largest fair settlement available ;)

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you don't go to a doctor the insurance won't have any basis on which to give you "pain and suffering."

This isn't entirely true. A visit that requires no treatment and no prescription proves no more quantifiable pain than simple stating you were sore and took OTC ibuprofen. In that instance, the doctor is just ruling out anything more serious. The general damages are theoretically the same in this scenario. The special damages are the cost of the doctor's visit.

That said, it never hurts to see a doctor to ensure it isn't anything more serious.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How is a cell phone different than a CB radio?

Sometimes the answer is too obvious. Professional (and generally better-skilled) drivers use CBs a heck of a lot more frequently than the average citizen. Pretty much every idiot on the road has access to a cell phone, and many of them prove their idiocy by staring at the things while plowing into the ass-end of some poor driver's car.

But yea, it's about the people, not the tool. Banning cell phones while driving makes about as much sense as prohibiting concealed and/or open carrying of firearms.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So truck drivers using CB for decades means it's as safe to use CB (or cell phones for that matter) while driving, than to drive without?

No.

Is does illustrate (not prove) how different people with different levels of skill and experience differ in their ability to perform a given task.

I'll always believe, unless shown factual evidence to the contrary, that a cell phone conversation while driving is insidiously more dangerous than an in-car conversation with a passenger.

That's OK. Lots of people stick to silly beliefs that difficult or impossible to disprove. :tounge: :spitlaugh

Chatting with a passenger at least allows you the possibility, however small, that you'll receive input regarding changes in the immediate environment

If I wanted my passenger's input, I'd let them drive. I put on more miles in an average 5 day window than most of my passengers do in a month (or more), alone and without incident...somehow. All that without their brilliant driving tips. :scratch:

All I'm saying is the actual act of the CONVERSATION is no more dangerous than a conversation with the average oblivious passenger. The dialing (eyes off the road) or the hands off the wheel would is more dangerous, but the conversation itself is not. Conversation is conversation.

Latest posts

Top Bottom