Ham Radio Guys

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grendel

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm a Ham radio operator, General class. Got my Technician in March of 2008 and my General in march of 2009. Though I don't have any HF equipment because I can't afford it.

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Though I don't have any HF equipment because I can't afford it.

This...That's why I'm planning on building some. I've started gathering components because I've been drawing up an idea for a digital tuner. Now if I could just find the time...probably have to wait til next summer after I graduate, lol.

SBD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dustin,

The Aeronautical Center Amateur Radio Club will have a Technician license exam class this fall.

You can check out the club website at www.wp5paa.net.

Contact Paul Thompson at [email protected] if you are interested in attending.

No cost for the class, $30 for book and $16 for the exam.

Hope this helps.

Allen Cope
AE5C

I work at MMAC and have never been to the club shack. I noticed the antennae are down though. Is it still there? I might like to work some HF on lunch. Been an Extra for bout a dozen years. Just renewed and the ARRL automatically renewed my VE cert - forgot I even had it - had a W5YI cert too but I think it has lapsed. I have never administered an exam or even helped but would be interested in doing so if the MMAC's club could use me.

Last edited:

acope

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The best person to contact at the center is Steve Bitner. He is the club trustee and could get you access to the shack. I am not an FAA employee, so I am not certain on the current status of the shack.

Hope this helps.
Allen

I work at MMAC and have never been to the club shack. I noticed the antennae are down though. Is it still there? I might like to work some HF on lunch. Been an Extra for bout a dozen years. Just renewed and the ARRL automatically renewed my VE cert - forgot I even had it - had a W5YI cert too but I think it has lapsed. I have never administered an exam or even helped but would be interested in doing so if the MMAC's club could use me.

BJS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dustin,

You may try to contact the Edmond Amateur Radio Society (EARS). They seem to be an active group of HAMs and offer study classes and a monthly testing session. I've had my technician license for several years, but haven't been too involved with it. I occassionally listen to their weekly area nets, and listen to storm spotters.

Check them out at http://www.k5eok.org/.

Good luck!

BJS

OKMike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What would the cost for a good basic set up be? I've been interested for years in HAM radio just haven't really researched it. During emegencies the HAM guys are sometimes the only ones who can communicate with the outside world.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What would the cost for a good basic set up be? I've been interested for years in HAM radio just haven't really researched it. During emegencies the HAM guys are sometimes the only ones who can communicate with the outside world.

As usual, an easy question without an easy answer. Unfortunately, the answer begins by asking another question: "Who do you need to communicate with and how far away are they?" If the answer relates to mostly local or direct communication, you can easily stay under $250. If the answer includes wanting to communicate worldwide, then the price goes up to around $800-900. These prices reflect totally new gear and you can keep the price down by finding used gear. This is a very broad answer but I'm sure others might want to give more specific answers. If you can narrow your question, it will be easier to give more specific answers.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't want to talk to my grandpa. I want to spend time with him. Hamming is what he likes to do and I would like to share that with him. I can't think of a better way to spend time with my grandpa then over the air across hundreds of miles with a hobby we both enjoy. I can't explain it any simpler than that.

Kudo's!! It could not be said any better!

I had a 1st class FCC license back in the day when in the military, but let it lapse. We ran a MARS site on our Microwave Site in Korea.

Latest posts

Top Bottom