HARLEY Riding

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been riding for about 18 years now. Took the riders course before getting my license. Agree with the others, it teaches you 10 years worth of stuff in 2 or 3 days.

When I moved up to the bigger bikes in 2001 (bought a road king) I noticed sweepers were a little more challenging. On higher speed long curves the bike seemed to really want to push to the outside. It seemed I had to slow down too much to keep it in my lane. A couple years later I came across an article in a bike mag aimed at sport bike racing on a track. A few paragraphs were dedicated to a technique I didn't hear about in the MSF course or anywhere else for that matter. It was about "steering with your hips". Apparently the racers do this a lot. In a nutshell you make a conscious effort to roll your hips in the direction of your turn. The article was much more informative. If for instance you're making a left turn you counter steer slightly to the right (of course) and roll your weight to the left butt cheek and in your mind try to push the left butt cheek to the left as if trying to slide it off the seat.

It made a big difference for me. I've had an electra glide for the last 4 years now. Whenever I'm having trouble cornering I notice I've gotten of the habit of "steering with the hips". You mentioned you have a softail. The only softail I've riden is a fatboy a friend had. It definitely steers slower than an electra glide. It just takes a little more effort with them to change directions.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am an MSF instructor in the Tulsa area and I highly recommend that you get to a class soon. It will do you a lot of good. I would also suggest finding the "Ride Like a Pro" DVD if possible as it gives you some great insight on what you should be doing as well as some skills to work on. In the meantime, here are a few pointers.

Keep your head and eyes up. You will go where you are looking, if you look down, then down you will go. It is natural for our eyes to follow our nose.

When making turns look all the way through your turn or curve. Do no "five pence" it where you look a little ahead, then a little more then a little more. By looking through the turn it will make it nice and smooth.

The throttle is your friend, don't be afraid of it but don't abuse it as it will bite you when least expected. Get used to modulating the throttle.

Learn clutch control. Think of it as a scale from 1 to 5 with 1 squeezed in and 5 all the way out. On slow speed stuff you want to stay in the 2-3-4 area. Ease it out to go squeeze it to slow. Ease and squeeze, remember that.

70 per cent of your braking power comes from your front brake. Do not be afraid to use it, it has much more stopping power than the rear brake. That being said the combination of both front and rear brakes is 100 per cent braking power.

That is just a synopsis of what we teach in MSF. If I could only give you one piece of advice today that would be find a course please. It will make riding much more enjoyable for you plus you get a 10 per cent discount on your insurance. If there is anything else I can answer please ask or PM me.

Mike

Great info. I was going to mention looking through the turn as well but this is much more complete information. Focus your eyes on where you want to be... pick your apex and drive through it.

Enjoy the ride!

ira41magfan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I echo the safety course too for it's better than learning the hard way. I don't ride a harley but I do ride a heavy bike and after an absence of riding to raise the kids the course helped greatly but it still took me about a year before I had the old feel again. My wife attended it with me, it was very helpful to me doing the drills plus it gave her more confidence in my skills too.

spamby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's the 2002 Softail that Higgimw had on sale here not long ago. Tires look new. I've been looking at the course that OSU offers and I think I'm going to take it.

I see you have some Air Force items in the signature of your post. Are you still in? Are you in the Guard? If yes to either then they will pay for you to go through the MSF course. I was in the Guard when I took mine. Like everyone else on here take the course, I know I learned so much more than what I really knew. Hope this helps.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
stating the obvious... but have you checked your tire pressures?
too low tire pressure can make your bike squirrely at speed.

bad shocks can do the same

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I see you have some Air Force items in the signature of your post. Are you still in? Are you in the Guard? If yes to either then they will pay for you to go through the MSF course. I was in the Guard when I took mine. Like everyone else on here take the course, I know I learned so much more than what I really knew. Hope this helps.

I did a hitch of active duty, then went AF Reserve for a while and then went to Oklahoma Air Natl Guard. I left in 94. I'll have to check with OSU and see if there is a way they can bill .gov for it.

Thanks

Keyser328

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
over about 15 you don't turn the handle bars the direction you want to go. You turn them the opposite. This leans the bike in the direction of the turn and it makes the proper turn. Then you turn them the opposite way to stand the bike back up.

Bingo here. It's called Counter Steering, for the record. I took the MSF course after riding off-road for years (and some on-road, but i was rather young) and I learned quite a lot.

Also, counter steer is critical as high speeds, and what you're describing is nearly identical to what I saw the first time I took my old cruiser to highway speeds. Take the MSF course, it's worth every cent, twice over.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The next available course date at OSU is next month. I'm going to sign up for it. I also ordered the "Ride Like a Pro" videos like was suggested. I don't know if it's me (probably) or the bike. I never had any trouble back when I was riding Yamaha's years ago. The biggest bike I ever rode before this one was a 750 Yamaha with shaft drive.

grizzly97

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's a good video to start with. If they haven't changed it since I watched it, they have some very dry humor. They try to make it entertaining, but... Anyways, great video and it will give you a heads up on what you learn in the course. I did that method (video then course) and right after the course I was able to make manuvers (sp) that my buddy who'd been riding for 20 years couldn't do. Plus, you'll get a discount on your insurance ;)

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Contacted the VA today. Said that my benefits expired long ago.

Latest posts

Top Bottom