Has anyone drilled their own irrigation well?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JxxxOxxxE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just finished up with my sprinkler system this last week, and am already wanting a well. I've seen a lot of info online about people drilling their own well with pvc pipe and some water hoses. I bored under my 14' wide driveway in less than 10 minutes using the same idea...so I know the idea will work...

I am sure it will work just as they are describing in the right areas. The problem is that I haven't found any that have been done in central OK. Someone once told me that around where I live, the well would need to be around 150' deep. I imagine that that figure was to obtain potable water though, and not just irrigation water.

Anyone with more knowledge? Would I be able to get 12 gpm irrigation water at 60' with a gravel pack and filter screen?

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I cant speak for your area but mid Caddo county my grandmothers drinking water well is about 90 feet in the ground. Within 50 yards of where in wet times of the year water seeps out of the ground. She isnt able to do more than dishes laundry and shower without waiting for the well to "fill" back up. It was professionly done. That would probably be the way to go especially in town. Some towns require a permit.

jbarnett

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I say save your money from doing the pvc pipe idea. If you hit one rock your done.
Already tried that.
I am looking at the idea of using a two-man post hole digger.
Still not sure it will get through all the rock though.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well I cant speak for your area but mid Caddo county my grandmothers drinking water well is about 90 feet in the ground. Within 50 yards of where in wet times of the year water seeps out of the ground. She isnt able to do more than dishes laundry and shower without waiting for the well to "fill" back up. It was professionly done. That would probably be the way to go especially in town. Some towns require a permit.

I'm on a well system for residential use, and my well goes down to 80 feet IIRC. There's a 1,000-gallon cistern in the system that the well pump tops off automatically, so I have yet to run out of water during daily use.

ETA: The well was professionally installed. Not a DIY job if you want it done right, I'd think.

cowzrul

Distinguished 1998
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I live out your direction. Don Strawn drilled mine to 250 feet. Took them all day with the sandstone. I really don't know how far you will get without a bit.

JxxxOxxxE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I live out your direction. Don Strawn drilled mine to 250 feet. Took them all day with the sandstone. I really don't know how far you will get without a bit.

Do you remember what they charged? Is yours for just irrigation, or drinking water too?

I just need/want one for irrigation....

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There used to be a one-man drill rig advertised in Popular Mechanics. A friend of mine got one when building his log cabin and was successful drilling a well that served his needs. This was in Osage County.

The drill rig was powered by a basic Briggs & Stratton engine and used 1" black iron pipe for a drill string.

JxxxOxxxE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My builder included it with the home. It is for the house only. I already had an old well for sprinklers.

I called Don Strawn earlier today...$10.50 a foot, and probably need 160-180 feet deep at my location...I'm waiting on a call back from a guy I went to school with that digs wells...

I cant believe how expensive this can be....It seems like there should be something/someway cheaper...

Latest posts

Top Bottom