High-riding ankle holster - with boots

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I see some our LEOs talking about using the Galco ankle holsters and such... I'm just curious if these guys wear boots or regular shoes? I need something I can wear up pretty high... almost to mid-calf. I wear BDU-type pants at work (actually EMT pants from 511), with high boots, probably 7"? Tactical boots, not cowboy boots. Pants are fairly bulky enough to hide a decent semi-auto in that location. I do not tuck the pants into the boots. Anyways, I can't fit something down in my boot, it's way too bulky. I need to be able to carry absolutely 100% concealed, with never a risk of exposure. If the gun rides 100% above my boot, this shouldn't be a problem. CC is banned at work, but I'm of the opinion I'd rather be looking for a new job than my wife looking for an undertaker.

I have a Taurus PT145 and PT140, both of which are ok, not too big. I'm willing to buy a purpose gun for this situation. Diamondback DB9, Kel-Tec, Kahr, Ruger LC9/LCP, something like that. Even thought about the baby Glock 36 slim model. I have never used a revolver, but maybe a nice 5-shot .357 would be ok. I don't want to go down to a .38.

So... it would have to be something that will be comfortable to wear for 12 hours a day. More than likely need to have a calf-strap, you know, like a sock garter? I just don't see it staying up otherwise, as it'll be on the part of my calf that is tapering upward (no cankles here), so it would be very easy to slide down otherwise.

I'm just wondering, because of all the "ankle" holsters I've looked at, the ankle ones seem to ride very low, and the pics are shown in dress shoes or tennis shoes, no pictures or mention of them working well with high boots. I tried leg holsters, but all I got was drop-leg stuff.

O

oklacowboy

I'v had the same problem. What I do is put my LC9 in a pocket holster and stick in the top of my boot. Sometimes on the inside of my leg, sometimes on the outside. That's the best way I'v found to do it.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Eh, I don't know that I can consider that secure enough right now... hope for some more responses.

Have you tried any of the other ankle-style holsters with boots? Or that was the only solution you've attempted?

GED, I hadn't thought of that... though I am up and down so much, it makes me wonder if it would be comfortable at all? Have you used one?

O

oklacowboy

I'v tried every way I could think of and thats the best way I could make it work. When I have to keep my shirt tucked in and in this heat that's the best I can do. Ankle carry is not what I like but it's better than nothing.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
GED, I hadn't thought of that... though I am up and down so much, it makes me wonder if it would be comfortable at all? Have you used one?

Nope, never used one but if the cargo pockets on your EMT pants are about the same size as the cargo pockets on my regular ol' 5.11 Tactical pants, it wouldn't move around too much I wouldn't think because those cargo pockets aren't very big. I've carried my Glock 27 in 'em before with no issues...except for the weight of it kinda flopping around when I took a step. Depending on what you carry, that may or may not be a burden. :anyone:

Of the weapons you listed (Diamondback DB9, Kel-Tec, Kahr, Ruger LC9/LCP) these are light enough and flat enough that they shouldn't bounce around too bad.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh, you meant on the side cargo pocket... no, that wouldn't work for me. It'd be flopping around way too much and would be noticeable. I thought you mean in the back pocket, which is large enough, but would be uncomfortable sitting.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh, you meant on the side cargo pocket... no, that wouldn't work for me. It'd be flopping around way too much and would be noticeable. I thought you mean in the back pocket, which is large enough, but would be uncomfortable sitting.

Yeah, I was afraid of that. :sorry1:

You can always go this route...

http://www.thunderwear.com/holsters.asp

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Argh. I don't think so! ;)

I thought about the cargo pocket some more... but even putting my Android cell phone in there, it flops about so much it doesn't feel comfortable.

Although... now I am wondering... the cargo pocket actually has an inner pocket as well. I can fit a pack of smokes with a lighter in there on the left and it holds them pretty securely. I wonder if I could have a very slim gun (like my Taurus 709 Slim) with a small pocket-type kydex sheath fit in that inner pocket (barrel/triggerguard only) and have a small velcro loop or something sewn inside the pocket to secure the grip? I needa check some dimensions for that... the outer cargo pocket has velcro on the flap, so it'd be pretty easy-access.

Ideas ideas....

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, I just tried it... put the PT140 in my cargo pocket, but the grip sticks out so much in the back it really poked out.

The single-stack 709 Slim fit much better - it canted forward quite a bit inside the inner cargo pocket. But when walking or even standing, the wife said it was very obvious there was something heavy in there. And when walking it thumps against my knee sometimes, making a pretty obvious sound of a large heavy solid object in my pocket.

I then tried a soft Python small-automatic holster in the small of my back. Even wearing a polo shirt untucked, there was still an obvious large square bulge in the small of my back if/when I bent over.

It's just something I can't possibly risk being seen EVER, ANYTIME unless and until I have a true life & death need for it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom