Home Defense

• Thread starter PistolPackin'Honey
  • Start Date
This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Amen to that SMS! Some crooks intent on quietly gaining access to your house when you have a two story and sleep in the second story and being a sound sleeper was my thought process there. Too much TV I guess! Anyone intent on protecting themselves from mindless thugs and evil hordes will as you suggest have multiple layers of defenses. Ours starts with two dogs.

You have a leg up on me with the two dogs! We had to get rid of our shepherd a few years ago...too many long days with long work hours and the poor thing went nuts at home alone. Someday I'll get another...until then the 'attack cat' will have to fill the gap in that layer, LOL.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Amen to that SMS! Some crooks intent on quietly gaining access to your house when you have a two story and sleep in the second story and being a sound sleeper was my thought process there. Too much TV I guess! Anyone intent on protecting themselves from mindless thugs and evil hordes will as you suggest have multiple layers of defenses. Ours starts with two dogs.

Uh...am unwilling to disclose my mulitiple layers of defense.

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If they can defeat layers of locks, doors, alarms, then creep into my room and grab sh$t off my night stand...all without waking me or my wife then, well, I'm being attacked by ninjas and I'm screwed anyway. LOL.

A gun by the bed is only one aspect of home security.

This is simply epic.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have noticed this too.

Some of them even have a business, or services offered here, wanting forum members for their customers, and they still don't know how to be civil, and respectful of others.

I think it is the "I'm kind of a big deal on the internet" syndrome.

Really? I guess I could try to be more civil. Please tell me which parts were not and I'll go back and edit them with an apology. I hope it isn't my differing opinion that has offended. I also hope it wasn't uncivil to point out the flaws in another poster's argument.

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Guys, I'm sure you mean well with your criticism of my little ole 'bandoleer' & suggestions for my training...but for one thing, I'm not going to disclose my entire past or training on this forum... nor all my preparations for home defense. And with all due respect, I think you've been watching way to many 3-gun competitions on TV or are way to hung-up with 'toys' & 'speed' on the range... instead of preparing yourselves for actual real world life & death scenarios.

I wish you could attend a month of 10 hour a day training at a federal facility located at a abandoned military base's housing edition that has been turned into a shoot / don't shoot training facility. Where they have live actors in full street dress, make-up / props & fake blood... with training knives, shotguns, rifles & pistols [and paint guns so you can see where you were hit] in every imaginable civilian / military scenario you might encounter in [any town] U.S.A.

On & off-duty scenarios. In-door training [such as you would encounter with intruders breaking into your home when your off-duty in bed or on the couch watching TV or at the dinner table], situations where you & your family have been taken hostage, and out-door training in the street [such as going door-to-door clearing houses & business while snipers take pot-shots at you, controlling rioters and looters, or what appeared to be a auto accident / or someone having a medical emergency.. but it suddenly turns out to be a ambush to steal your weapon and valuables]. It opened my eyes to training in real world scenerios.. versus relying on range training for accuracy & speed.

Until you have been in a training situation such as one where for instance you or a partner have had a sweet innocent looking friendly 13 yr old boy suddenly stick a 4" training knife in your kidneys w/ imitation blood running down into your underwear and then take your weapon & wallet...or had a battered, bloodied & bruised 16 yr old pregnant girl who hysterically screams she has just been beaten & raped suddenly pull a firearm out of a padded bundle under her blouse / T-shirt and shoot you in the back point blank as you are securing the scene and robs you of your weapon & wallet... because it never dawned on you that she wasn't really pregnant or badly hurt & that she & the 13 yr old were really gang-bangers setting you up for a ambush... I don't think you have really 'trained'.

And, I've probably had more training with .223's, 12 ga pumps & pistols over the last 25 yrs than you 2 put together. Especially having worked at a LE firing range for a number of years. So..., if your system works for you.. great, stick with it... who am I to ever criticize something that works for you. But my system works very well for me.. even the bandoleer. I have trained with it. During the training I wrote about, instructors with a heck of a lot of real world experience in the military & as LEO's suggested it as a option to have available at home as part of our home defense....and it is a option I chose to use.

I've trained & prepared for a sudden natural or man-made disaster that results in wide spread lawlessness... where there will be [lots] of looters roaming the streets and where a single person will need to have lots of firepower / ammunition [such as shotgun shells] at hand quickly... especially when the local police are overwhelmed. And having prepared for events of widespread lawlessness.. that will certainly cover the one or two man home intruders too.

Not really hung up on 3 gun competitions, my comments are if you are realistically training with your options. You seem to be the only person other than Pancho Villa that thinks the bandolier is a good option for self defense. It would see odd to most everyone that people that deal with this in real life day to day experience, would not use those if they are such a good option. Maybe a LBV with mag pockets instead if you are that concerned about Seal Team 6 attacking you in your sleep.

As to attending a 10 hour a day every day for a month training facility, is this something you have done, or maybe even sponsored? In the military, they call that AIT, not sure what they would call it in the private sector?

Who have you trained with on 223, 12 gauge, etc more than any of us on here? Chances are you may have trained with more than me, but I am not the one bragging about my training and unusual selection of equipment. And working at a range, even a LE range does not make you any more trained that eating a McDonalds makes you a Sous Chef.

I too believe in being prepared. The difference that I see is the more training that I attend, the more I realize I need more training. From the sound of your 25 years of experience, you should have a Tactical Line named after you. All I asked in my original post was if you had actually trained with the bandolier, because that sounds like a unusual choice for someone to make. Hey, if it works for you, go for it, what do I care? It was the defensive rambling post that you wrote that took this to a humorous level......

And, ... there is a federal training center that does that kind of training with real actors... in many diverse scenerios... it teaches officers & soldiers not to get tunnel vision when they roll up on a scene.... even the U.N. peace keepers / troops get some of this training.

So are you saying you actually trained there, or just "Know" about it? If nothing else, what is the name of this place, and where is it located? That should not compromise any sensitive details of you personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom