Home Defense

• Thread starter PistolPackin'Honey
  • Start Date
This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't have any kids to worry about so I use a Holster Mate bed side mount. It is a 18" long metal plate that slides between your mattress & box springs and secures in place with supplied velcro pads... that you attach your belt slide holster too. When I go to bed, my Glock 23 w/ CT laser goes in the holster and is always within a short arms length.

When you make your bed, the gun will conceal easily under the bedspread if you want to leave a pistol holstered there all the time.

I got mine at Uncle Sam's in Lawton for $20.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/2PSHM3536-1.html

View attachment 20119

I've been wanting one of those. I also keep a mossberg 590 fully loaded not 3ft from my bed.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been wanting one of those. I also keep a mossberg 590 fully loaded not 3ft from my bed.

AKguy, You would find it [very] convenient.. just roll over on your side or simply drop your hand over the edge of the bed and the pistol grip is right at your hand in a natural draw position. I highly recommend it.

I've got a Mossberg 500 almost as close as yours, along with a bandoleer of 25 more rounds that I can drop over my neck... 18 inch riot barrel loaded w/ 3" BB loads... that is 80+ steel BB's coming out of the tube at approx. 1,550 fps-- about the speed of .357 mag bullet but making a pattern about 10-12" in diameter at 15 feet-- about like hitting them with a bowling ball at that speed. I feel these are a lot better that a 1 oz slug or 12 pellets of OO buckshot. I want holes in the bad guy... lots of holes.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1911 in Condition 1 tucked underneath the mattress with enough grip hanging out for me to quickly reach and draw.
590A1 leaning in between the wall and my nightstand, fully loaded and racked, safety on.
Saiga 12 leaving in between the wall and my wife's nightstand, fully loaded, chambered, safety on.

Shotguns get locked up before the wife leaves the house and the handgun gets put where it's easily accessible by either of us coming into our house from the garage. With a 6 year old in the house, we have to still be very cautious, though she's very educated on firearm safety. She's never in the house alone, even if we're out in the front yard, and if she is, the 1911 is at my 3:00 anyway. Which before her bedtime, is typically the only gun not locked away.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Might be over simplified, but if I didn't have little ones to worry about...my pistol would be laying on top of the night stand, right next to a flashlight and a cell phone.

Yep, this. Plus a spare mag.

jhat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
XDM 45 on the pillow next to me, Glock 22 under the pillow next to me, and a 1911, cocked and locked, in the night stand.
That should cover it. : )

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
AKguy, You would find it [very] convenient.. just roll over on your side or simply drop your hand over the edge of the bed and the pistol grip is right at your hand in a natural draw position. I highly recommend it.

I've got a Mossberg 500 almost as close as yours, along with a bandoleer of 25 more rounds that I can drop over my neck... 18 inch riot barrel loaded w/ 3" BB loads... that is 80+ steel BB's coming out of the tube at approx. 1,550 fps-- about the speed of .357 mag bullet but making a pattern about 10-12" in diameter at 15 feet-- about like hitting them with a bowling ball at that speed. I feel these are a lot better that a 1 oz slug or 12 pellets of OO buckshot. I want holes in the bad guy... lots of holes.

Have you actually practiced loading from that bandolier?

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have you actually practiced loading from that bandolier?

It is the kind designed to be worn around the waist or hung around the neck and is very simple to load from. It is much more convienent for me than a 5 rd side-saddle / stock mounted shell carrier... but the main reason for it is if I have to jump up in the middle of the night because of multiple intruders... I'm not gonna be carrying a 25 rd box of shells in my sleeping clothes and I won't have to go looking for shells. I've got 25 rds hanging right by the shotgun ready to fight a small war with if needed.

That is in additon to the 13 rds in the laser equiped Glock 23. If I'm suddenly awaken to a life & death fight...and I get my hand on either weapon, then I've got enough immediate firepower to stop just about any threat... even if they are wearing body armor

Last edited:

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is the kind designed to be worn around the waist or hung around the neck and is very simple to load from. It is much more convienent for me than a 5 rd side-saddle / stock mounted shell carrier... but the main reason for it is if I have to jump up in the middle of the night because of multiple intruders... I'm not gonna be carrying a 25 rd box of shells in my sleeping clothes and I won't have to go looking for shells. I've got 25 rds hanging right by the shotgun ready to fight a small war with if needed.

That is in additon to the 13 rds in the laser equiped Glock 23. If I'm suddenly awaken to a life & death fight...and I get my hand on either weapon, then I've got enough immediate firepower to stop just about any threat... even if they are wearing body armor

I would really suggest you try loading from this before you "need" it. Many times people have a false sense of security in having this "stuff" around them without practicing with it. I cannot think of a scenario that would have you loading 25 rounds of shotgun ammo for multiple attackers short of a Steven Segal movie. I am a big proponent of being prepared, but without actually using it in a real world scenario, it becomes as one of our threads so aptly call it, a "Talisman" more than anything.

I would go do some Shotgun competitions if you haven't done so already, and try to load from that bandolier. You will see very soon, that it is next to impossible to speedload from it. It is too flimsy, and is not something I have ever seen being used when speed is an issue. Try looking at sidesaddles, and speedloaders.

carlstretch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I took the plastic holster my Springfield 1911 came with and slid a 6" piece of wood thru the belt loops. Then I screwed that to the underside of my nightstand. It hangs down just enough that I can just extend my hand off of the bed and grab it. I placed it just right so that I am getting a straight pull out of the holster. Actually turned out way better than I thought it would. I will probably replace it with my HK 45 setup when I get it so I can have my light attached to the rail. I'll just need to find a holster that fits the gun with a light. It will go under the nightstand just like my 1911.

I really like the electronic safe that was pictured on page 1. I almost went with that but decided to try my way first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom