Hot water tank shot!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stick4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been tempted to shoot a TV or two after sporting events and elections that didn't pan out to my liking. Never shot a HWT. Anyway, this new one here is too damn expensive to shoot. We're all electric so I bought one of these

Last edited by a moderator:

10Seconds

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My thoughts:

1. He is too high. (A top rated, energy star unit sells at Lowes for $540 retail, install should be less than $200, and he is likely giving you a medium grade unit at best)

2. He knows that the names he gave you will be even higher so you will be more likely to think his bid is good.

3. He knows that giving you other names to call makes you think that you can trust him.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had ours replaced about 8 months ago with a high energy star unit and it cost about $700. The old one had rusted so thin inside that it collapsed when the plumber loaded on his hand truck. We really dodged a wet mess.

stepper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the reply's! Wow.

First off, there is no way I"m doing it myself, so that option is out. You're talking to a guy that doesn't even have a tool kit! :)

He kept his price list, but he quoted me $500 for the tank, and $350 of it was man hours to install. Also said we had pvc, and it needed to be something else. We have a "gate" shutoff valve, and it needs ball bearings. He said Edmond code requires some sort of other smaller tank, that was $50. Don't remember what he called it, or said it was for.

Our tank is located inside the house also, not in the garage like most of them are.

Viper16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the reply's! Wow.

First off, there is no way I"m doing it myself, so that option is out. You're talking to a guy that doesn't even have a tool kit! :)

He kept his price list, but he quoted me $500 for the tank, and $350 of it was man hours to install. Also said we had pvc, and it needed to be something else. We have a "gate" shutoff valve, and it needs ball bearings. He said Edmond code requires some sort of other smaller tank, that was $50. Don't remember what he called it, or said it was for.

Our tank is located inside the house also, not in the garage like most of them are.

Make sure you do not have a high efficiency water heater currently that is Natural Gas and vents with PVC. He may be trying to give you a non-condensing water heater (Lower Efficiency but cheaper initial purchasing coxst) that will vent with B-Vent (pretty much galvanized steel). He wants to use Ball Valves rather than Gate Valves...nothing wrong with that, they are about $5-20.00 depending on size, for the smaller ones.

OkieMoe

WHEELMAN
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I replaced my own tank a few weeks back for less than 450... I'm in edmond.. You can borrow any tools you need...

It might have took me two hours total.. Doing it myself made it a little rough to move around.. That took a little extra time.

Cue

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If it is gas, you have to have a licensed contractor call in a permit. That will cost at least $125 just for the inspection. A grand does not seem high if it is gas. Electric is another story though. Do not listen to the DIY crowd, you cause a gas fire, you could face manslaughter or worse.

Latest posts

Top Bottom